Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 04-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
G-man
Holds An Impotent Sanity

G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose
Default Minimalism

What do we all thing of it? Whatever the genre (e.g. avant garde, classical, etc.)

I really dig it, especially Terry Riley, Tony Conrad, etc.
EHX Big Muff Pi, Boss OD-1E, EHX Holy Grail Nano,
Diddly Bo (handmade), DD7.
G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Like most aspects of music/playing, it has it's place. To illustrate: there are times when watching EVH shred a solo, jamming about 575 notes into a 30-second solo is great; then there's times when watching DGilmour do a spine-tingling 3-minute solo using about 6 notes is amazing too.

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
cheezyridr
Banned

cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out

some people can never get enough of minimalism.

cheezyridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Highroller

Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

You know what? I happen to be listening to Talking Heads doing "Psycho Killer" this very minute!

"Say it once, why say it again?"

To some degree, the whole idea of punk is based on minimalism. Short, compact songs, no indulgent solos, simple song construction, etc.

I'm good with it - especially the idea of using simple, minimalist parts that when combined form a complex whole. Hell, that definitely goes back as far as Phillip Glass and Terry Riley, but more recently Radiohead's built their entire career around it.

It can definitely make for some great music!
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
G-man
Holds An Impotent Sanity

G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose

This is one of my favourite Tony Conrad pieces. It's minimalist avant garde but perfectly demonstrates to me the brilliance of minimalism. It's a mad concept, and shouldn't work, but it does. It's fascinating and yet ridiculously simple.
EHX Big Muff Pi, Boss OD-1E, EHX Holy Grail Nano,
Diddly Bo (handmade), DD7.
G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public

For some reason it won't play. I guess minimalist music does not affect song length?
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:17 AM   #7
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Minimalism.

Are minim and vand related ?
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumachan View Post
some people can never get enough of minimalism.

Hahaha.

I like my music to make sense. I don't want it stuck on rails
, but some of that avante garde stuff goes right over my head. Some of the early Floyd stuff I didn't care for, although an old hippy friend of mine says its classic Floyd haha.

It won't do your creativity any harm though G if you like it

Take from it what you find useful, and make it uniquely your own.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

As Frank Zappa once said, one chord is fine, two chords is pushing it, three chords is too much.

That said, variety is the spice of life AND music. I've written tracks that use one chord, although they tend to use that one chord and it's associated minor, sus, and 6 or 7 type variants.

Minimalism has it's place, but for me a great chord progression is what makes a track stand out from the crowd.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
Highroller

Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Not that it really matters, but I'm pretty sure that was Lou Reed, not Zappa:

“One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you’re into jazz.”

And it was complete BS, but Lou knew how to give a great quote. Compared to Zappa, his stuff was pretty simple - minimalist, primitive, whatever you wanna call it. But it wasn't THAT simple! It's not like every song he wrote was a 2 chord rave-up like "Heroin". He could build a lovely chord progression when he wanted to.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote