Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 01-19-2011, 05:43 AM   #21
Night Train
Banned

Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Night Train is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Aren't these lists the result of people nominating their favourite guitarists. They not meant to be the best guitarists, merely the most voted for.
I did nto say the most popular because I am willing to bet the few 14 year olds who vote would even own a BB King recording.

Joni mitchell #72 my arse. She is not a bad folk style finger picker but does not rate overall as much of a guitarist. If she is entitled to be there, so are Joan Baez and Joan Jett
Night Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #22
tawtaw

tawtaw Just getting started

Yeah, these aren't "best" lists.

"Greatest" lists tend to be an undefinable mish mash of popularity, skill and influence.

Guys like BB King and Kurt Cobain(although I enjoy both) are always a bit overrated on those type of lists. I do think they deserve a certain amount of credit for influence that goes beyond their ability though.
tawtaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #23
James Stiltner

James Stiltner Just getting started

I'd disagree with a few choices, but not bad.
James Stiltner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #24
S. Rock

S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

wow. this thread is from almost 3 years ago. I would think that some things have changed since then.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #25
St.Fill
Kung Fu Chicken

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
Everytime these RS lists hit the net, there is arguement among players. IT's ROLLING STONE people, they support popularity, not precision.
I was able to calm down after reading ths comment...

in light of Johnny Ramone being #16 and Johnny Winter being #74.

St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #26
G-man
Holds An Impotent Sanity

G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose

I'm pissed about this list because [insert favourite guitarist here] wasn't featured, and even worse is [insert guitarist here] was placed over [insert guitarist here] and said guitarist isn't even better than [insert list of guitarists here].
EHX Big Muff Pi, Boss OD-1E, EHX Holy Grail Nano,
Diddly Bo (handmade), DD7.
G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #27
80's Rock
Wannabe Guitarist

80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow

Insulting that list...EVH at #70. Satriani, Vai, Eric Johnson, Vinnie Moore, Becker and Petrucci (among others) nowhere to be found, but they dare include Kurt Cobain. Many of us deserve to be on that list more than Cobain does.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #28
*MAYHEM*
Banned

*MAYHEM* Just getting started *MAYHEM* Just getting started

The list is BS. Mike Nesmith and Peter Tork aren't on it.
*MAYHEM* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #29
Highroller

Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Ah, but the late Glen Buxton is!

... and for that simple fact, I always thought this particular list was better than many others.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:07 AM   #30
Soclydeza

Soclydeza Just getting started

I remember seeing this when it came out. After seeing Kurt Cobain toward the top and many excellent (and popular) players not even on that list I never took RS seriously again.
Soclydeza is offline   Reply With Quote