Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 08-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
Pretty sure he specified great musicians, which obviously disqualifies Ted.
Somebody had to say it :-).
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #12
no talent hack
Fun loving nihilist

no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms

lol.... okay. I'm not going to defend the 'Nuge as "great".

I would like to knock out a few of his teeth, though. I think that would make me feel better.
no talent hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #13
phingerboard
Huge in Canada

phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee View Post
Oh btw, I wouldn't classify Nugent as great anyways. Starts to get really subjective, but whatev...Stranglehold is a great song, but I think there's rumors he didn't write/play most of that anyways. Other than Cat Scratch Fever (meh), I can't even name another Nugent song. Maybe I'm just ignorant though. Even the article concedes that "greatness" isn't limited to those with the most technical prowess, e.g. Rolling Stones, Nirvana, Ramones, etc.
I'm no Ted Nugent fan, but if you dig back a little further to his pre-pop days (Amboy Dukes), you'll see that he's a much better player than his popular records would let on. Sure, he's not a virtuoso or anything, but he really is a pretty good guitar player.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:02 PM   #14
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quite a few have musical parents, so grew up around it.

As for ted nugent hating...or hating on anyone...what have you done lately ?.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #15
SustaiNZ
Exquisite Member

SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Quote:
Originally Posted by no talent hack View Post
lol.... okay. I'm not going to defend the 'Nuge as "great".

I would like to knock out a few of his teeth, though. I think that would make me feel better.
You're quite the angry lefty, aren't you?
Old 08-06-2014, 11:21 PM   #16
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow

While I'm definitely in the "Your either born with it or your not" camp, the article overlooks one critical factor, the early years of a child. There are a lot of things that get impressed on a child while they are a baby, many studies show that children that are exposed to multiple languages while a child have a an easier time learning other languages later in life. While I think the whole "Baby Music" thing is crazy, i do believe that babies that are exposed to music and playing music at the earliest possible ages will also have a better chance to be good at music later in their lives.

Throughout most of my musical career I out practiced everyone I knew. I had the best instructors and best instrument (big, big sacrifices on the part of my family.) I saw many people practice way less than I did just blow by me in ability again and again. There are no musicians in my family tree as far back as I can find.

However, when I moved to math and computers, it all immediately clicked and suddenly I was the guy surging ahead. I have a ton of scientists on both sides of my family, grand father worked for Edison, one of his brothers has a University in South America named after him, other brother was an Astronomer at Palomar during its hey day. On my fathers side all my uncles and cousins are PhDs and either teach or do research. My parents were the uneducated black-sheep of both families. My sister and I both got through college with no problems, but we both had to work full time to pay for it.
iConnectAudio4+
BigDawgsByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:27 PM   #17
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

There is an interesting tale that Frank Marino tells about ole Ted Nugent. Apparently they shared a bill in Detroit many yrs. ago. I guess Ted opened because Mahogany Rush was on second.

In the middle of Mahogany Rush's set, Ted walked out with his Birdland and got some roadies to push one of his stacks back on the stage, DURING Mahogany Rush's set. He was aiming at a head cutting with Marino, not really classy or wise.

The story goes that Ted would play a lick, and get countered by Frank Marino each time for a few minutes until Ted, realizing that his schtick had backfired, fell to the stage as if shot and beat.

I found that to be my beginning dislike of Ted Nugent, it was classless then, it would be classless now, and he seems to wallow in it now that his career is an afterthought.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:27 AM   #18
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase View Post

I took my dog on a walk.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #19
Guess Who

Guess Who Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgsByte View Post
While I'm definitely in the "Your either born with it or your not" camp, the article overlooks one critical factor, the early years of a child. There are a lot of things that get impressed on a child while they are a baby, many studies show that children that are exposed to multiple languages while a child have a an easier time learning other languages later in life. While I think the whole "Baby Music" thing is crazy, i do believe that babies that are exposed to music and playing music at the earliest possible ages will also have a better chance to be good at music later in their lives.

Throughout most of my musical career I out practiced everyone I knew. I had the best instructors and best instrument (big, big sacrifices on the part of my family.) I saw many people practice way less than I did just blow by me in ability again and again. There are no musicians in my family tree as far back as I can find.

However, when I moved to math and computers, it all immediately clicked and suddenly I was the guy surging ahead. I have a ton of scientists on both sides of my family, grand father worked for Edison, one of his brothers has a University in South America named after him, other brother was an Astronomer at Palomar during its hey day. On my fathers side all my uncles and cousins are PhDs and either teach or do research. My parents were the uneducated black-sheep of both families. My sister and I both got through college with no problems, but we both had to work full time to pay for it.
When I wanted to start guitar my mum refused to get me one as she said I had no "musical talent".
I had to wait until my 18th birthday and use my money from gifts to buy my first one myself.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #20
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase View Post

I wasn't hating...Nugent just isn't a name that comes to mind when I try to think of "great" musicians or guitar players. I'm not a fan, but he's got his thing that some people seem to like...good for him.

@guess who - my parents let me get a guitar and let me play in a band, that is until we were good enough to start playing gigs. Then I was told "no!" because what if I was playing at a party and there was drinking and drugs... :-(. 20 some odd years later I'm finally getting to do that (playing gigs that is :-)!

Anyway, good for you persevering and getting a guitar eventually!

Me - I'm not a "great musician", but I have always LOVED listening to music. I'm the guy that can't walk past my guitar without picking it up and playing at least a few notes. Drives my wife and kids crazy at times :-). So I fall into the category of being highly motivated and determined to make use of the limited musical gifts I have.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote