Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #21
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Talent and luck, right place right time.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:01 PM   #22
Highroller

Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Nugent's real skill is self-promotion.

As for the actual topic: I'm not sure the article (or more specifically the original study it refers to) is right in the first place. This "myth" it refers to - that anybody can practice their way to greatness regardless of talent - who the hell believes that?

And so now a new study repudiates the old one. Gosh, big surprise there. Academia - you can find a study that says just about anything. And another one to dispute it. The academics keep churning this crap out because that's how they get tenure -"Publish or perish". And the press keeps acting like all this actually means something (which it doesn't) because they need content to fill up their web pages.

I'm so tired of "studies". Really, I'm going to swear off reading anything that starts out with "A new study concludes..." or "new research shows..."

It's all BS ... or at least it seems that way to me! Lol!

---

Last edited by Highroller; 08-08-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #23
SustaiNZ
Exquisite Member

SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDancer View Post
That sounds like a recipe for success, not greatness. The two are not mutually inclusive.

With regard to the thread title - "What do great musicians have in common?" - one thing we can presume with at least a fair degree of certainty is that they don't spend a lot of time dithering on guitar forums.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #24
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDancer View Post
+1

Don't forget good looks and a great personality. Its a social business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SustaiNZ:
That sounds like a recipe for success, not greatness. The two are not mutually inclusive.

With regard to the thread title - "What do great musicians have in common?" - one thing we can presume with at least a fair degree of certainty is that they don't spend a lot of time dithering on guitar forums.
iConnectAudio4+
BigDawgsByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #25
G-man
Holds An Impotent Sanity

G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SustaiNZ View Post
This ^^^

I'm sure we can all name plenty of fantastic musicians we known who never sold 1 million albums.
EHX Big Muff Pi, Boss OD-1E, EHX Holy Grail Nano,
Diddly Bo (handmade), DD7.
G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #26
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

IMO, really 'great' musicians have the same thing that anyone who is considered 'great' has... whatever their art of choice is, really 'great' practitioners of their art have an insatiable, unstoppable "drive" toward involvement and learning in the field they're passionate about.

We hear of great players having practiced 14 hours a day for years when they were young.
We hear of master craftsmen having started their art at 4 years old. You never had to ask where they were... every bit of their spare time is spent "in the shop".
We hear of great medical minds having traveled all over the world to specialty schools to increase their knowledge base, even late into their careers.
We hear of great politicians... (ahhh, never mind... no we dont).

Seriously though, when we DO encounter "great" people, its real easy to separate those that talk the talk vs those that can (and do) walk the walk... posers will talk all day about what they can do, and they actually fool the layman into thinking they're great.

A person thats truly great at something will blow your mind with their abilities on a regular basis. Its hard to fathom the creativity and the mind of someone we see as great, yet there it is, right in front of us.

I think the term "great" IS a relative thing, and different for just about everyone, but then again WE are all different from each other. What is deemed great to me may not be great to someone else, but that makes neither of our opinions on the subject less valid.

St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #27
Rustee
carbon based biped

Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop

Indeed!

I've posted these before, but they're worth reposting here.

If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it wouldn’t seem so wonderful at all. - Michelangelo

People make a mistake who think that my art has come easily to me. Nobody has devoted so much time and thought to composition as I. There is not a famous master whose music I have not studied over and over. - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

A genius! For 37 years I’ve practiced fourteen hours a day, and now they call me a genius! - Pablo Sarasate (Spanish violinist)
Old 08-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #28
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee View Post
Indeed!

If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it wouldn’t seem so wonderful at all. - Michelangelo

People make a mistake who think that my art has come easily to me. Nobody has devoted so much time and thought to composition as I. There is not a famous master whose music I have not studied over and over. - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

A genius! For 37 years I’ve practiced fourteen hours a day, and now they call me a genius! - Pablo Sarasate (Spanish violinist)
Good post...and for this reason it can be insulting to somebody who has mastered their art when somebody expects to perform like them in a very short amount of time...

I keep this in mind when I get frustrated that I can't play like my guitar heroes or any of my fellow musicians.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #29
G-man
Holds An Impotent Sanity

G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee View Post
Indeed!

Where do you find these? As in, where are they referenced from.
EHX Big Muff Pi, Boss OD-1E, EHX Holy Grail Nano,
Diddly Bo (handmade), DD7.
G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #30
Rustee
carbon based biped

Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop

Everywhere. I'm a collector of quotes, literally; I have a giant Google doc that I put various quotes in as I encounter them reading. I honestly don't recall where each of these are from, or where I got them, but I do usually try to verify authenticity. I know, misattributed and outright fake quotes abound.