Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 08-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies
Default How many guitars on stage?

For those of you that are gigging regularly, how many guitars to you bring with you aside from a backup?

In my band's setlist so far, we have some Stones songs that use open G tuning. The other guitarist that plays these parts brings a separate guitar to play those songs so he doen't have to retune on stage.

This makes sense to me, but I was curious to know if this is common practice amongst gigging musicians.

Other reasons I could see bring to bring multiple guitars would be to get a different sound (single coils vs. humbuckers), different setup (higher nut for slide), or lighter string gauge to suit a different style (e.g. Billy Gibbons and his 2 step bends are easier with very light strings).

Personally I would perfer to bring as few guitars as possible - less to manage, less chance of something bad happening to one of my guitars, etc. Just wondering what you guys all do.

Thanks!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
headless

headless The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking headless The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking headless The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking headless The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking headless The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Good question dude and you'll get loads of different answers

We only do a couple of songs in Drop D, so it's fairly quick to change from standard tuning that we use for all the rest of our songs, so I usually just take 2 guitars with me now, I used to take 3 but with added lights, fog machine and all the PA and PA speakers, and the drumkit space in an issue in the back of the tourbus!!
I have never had any need for more than 2, I have broken strings during a gig and swapped to the backup and restrung the snapped string in the interval between sets.
I think it looks scrappy if you are constantly swapping guitars and checking tuning, but that's just me
headless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
flake_E_lee
Blues orientated rocker

flake_E_lee Just getting started

We are de-tuned on stage to a key of E flat
I bring my aria pro,my main axe and the backup is the marlin also tuned Eflat
Its just there for the convenience of broken string use but as of the weekend,the 2 guitars going with me to every gig is the aria pro and the Jackson sdx I will have by the weekend
flake_E_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
Austin R
Hip to be square

Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Two.

If a string snaps or something goes haywire I just grab the other and keep goin.
Carvin DC127, PRS McCarty Soapbar, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender Mexican Stratocaster, Epiphone Les Paul Trad. Pro,
Austin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Thanks for the responses guys. I always have a spare set of strings with me, but I hadn't thought of having a spare guitar just so I could grab it, keep going, and do the string change during a break between sets!

Yeah, drop D is easy enough to do quickly...open G is a bit more of a task.

If anybody else has some thoughts or opinions, I'm all ears.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
Chito
It's all about the music.

Chito The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Chito The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I usually bring only one guitar and that would be my es339 specially if it is a small stage. Otherwise, I bring my es336 as back up.

Sent from my mobile computer.
Chito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
BallisticSquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by flake_E_lee View Post
We are de-tuned on stage to a key of E flat
What's the reason for detuning to Eb - to accomodate the singer, heavier sound, easier playing?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #8
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops

When I was gigging heavily in the late 80's-mid 90's, I had 4 guitars onstage.

One for a backup with the same pickups as my main (Strat style with Floyd Rose) running into a splitter, a Tele for a different tone/sound, one 6 string and one 12 string acoustic running wireless.

As far as Bass, I have my main (Ibanez) and a backup (Crate) into a secondary amp.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #9
Mr. G.
Grizzled Veteran

Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them

Depends on the venue/stage size. I only ever bring my main guitar, and a backup.
Effects: Boss GT-100
Band: Whisky Business
Mr. G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #10
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Playing bass in my current band, I just have my main plank (Peavey Cirrus).
When I play guitar at open mic's, it's just a single ac/el guitar - if something goes wrong, oh flippin' well. I mean, it's just open mic.
When I played guitar for real gigs, I'd have an elec, and either a 2nd elec for emergencies, or an acoustic if the set list required it.

Most importantly, I just make sure my glasses are clean so I can ogle breasts from the stage...

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote