Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 08-26-2014, 10:10 PM   #11
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Three - acoustic, acoustic slide, electric slide. I used to change open slide tunings between sets, and standard to drop D between songs.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:44 AM   #12
flake_E_lee
Blues orientated rocker

flake_E_lee Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggior View Post
What's the reason for detuning to Eb - to accomodate the singer, heavier sound, easier playing?

Thanks!
Its done that way to purley accommodate the singer and make his job easier.
We play half a step down from standard tuning.
It does also maybe give a slightly heavier edge to it all also
flake_E_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #13
DrumBob

DrumBob Just getting started

At least three and usually four; two E flat tuned six strings, Rickenbacker 12 string, and my Candy Apple Red 5 string Strat tuned to Open G. If I feel like doing some slide guitar blues, I'll bring my Kingston/Teisco 1 pickup, which works great for that purpose.

You should always have a spare guitar on gigs in case something goes wrong.
DrumBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #14
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
At least three and usually four; two E flat tuned six strings, Rickenbacker 12 string, and my Candy Apple Red 5 string Strat tuned to Open G. If I feel like doing some slide guitar blues, I'll bring my Kingston/Teisco 1 pickup, which works great for that purpose
And I suppose this guy is your roadie???

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #15
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

I try to keep it to one. Hauling stuff is young man's work, and I'm no longer a young man.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #16
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quite a variance. From what I'm reading, if I show up with my LP, may Strat, and my LP Faded Studio as a spare, I won't be much different from other players.

Last night at rehearsal, I learned about having extra cables. One of my new ones has a flakey end and our other guitarist's went. Gotta buy more cables...

Our setlist is shaping up to where there are some songs that will just want a strat (SRV, Clapton) and others that will just want an LP (Zeppelin, Doobie Brothers). I like playing each guitar for different reasons...so rather than choose for now I'll see how switching back and forth works.

As much as I love my LP, if I had to stick with one guitar, I think it would be my strat. It's just more verstatile...
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #17
flake_E_lee
Blues orientated rocker

flake_E_lee Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggior View Post
Last night at rehearsal, I learned about having extra cables. One of my new ones has a flakey end and our other guitarist's went. Gotta buy more cables...

Im gonna wave goodbye to leads soon and go wirless.
Fed up tripping over leads,pays for itself long term
flake_E_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:39 AM   #18
DrumBob

DrumBob Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd View Post
And I suppose this guy is your roadie???

He could roadie for me anytime. If you lived closer, I'd hire you.

I carry four or five guitars on gigs because they're all different and serve different purposes. I like authenticity. The Stones tunes sound great with the Open G Strat, and the Rickenbacker 12 string is perfect for 60's jangle rock we play.
DrumBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:44 AM   #19
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
He could roadie for me anytime. If you lived closer, I'd hire you.

I carry four or five guitars on gigs because they're all different and serve different purposes. I like authenticity. The Stones tunes sound great with the Open G Strat, and the Rickenbacker 12 string is perfect for 60's jangle rock we play.
Shoot...if I had Mr. Steroid Lad as a roadie, I'd bring all my planks to every show too. But I'm an old man. Lugging guitars is work.

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #20
Underdog
...just sayin...

Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed

There was a guy on here who used to take two of everything when he gigged: two amps, two pedal boards (his board was massive), a huge bag of cables etc., and a whole squad of guitars. He was super anal though and kind of a nutjob though.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote