Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 11-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Default "6 Tips To Become A Professional Musician"

Saw this on reverb.com; it's pretty barebones, basic, common sense stuff - that 90% of players seem to be completely ignorant of!!!
There's some daym good suggestions in the "comments" section, too...

http://reverb.com/blog/six-boring-ti...ional-musician

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Duh,
Old 11-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

7) Get a day job

Not so sure about the strings. I used to break strings at the tuner post and my old Gibson acoustic fairly regularly due to changing tunings. Being cheap, I would knot another piece on the end and keep using them. Someone in the audience would occasionally ask about them, and I would tell them that the knots were essential for the authentic prewar blues tone. A few believed me.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #4
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Just make sure that your income is greater than expenses and you'll be OK.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:53 AM   #5
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

The business card idea is a great one. I was given that tip in another forum and decided that before we did open mics we'd have cards. I made them on my PC...no big deal.

And boy am I glad I did...at the open mic we handed out at least 5 of them. The guy that introduced us stood up there reading our name off the card. Otherwise he would have been asking us from the stage "what's your band's name again??".

I hate the noodling between songs at rehearsal, forget about it at a gig.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:14 AM   #6
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggior View Post
I hate the noodling between songs at rehearsal, forget about it at a gig.
This one is sort of a bug up my butt...not because it isn't fun to footle about with riffs and stuff...but to me - especially at practice - it's a symptom of lack of focus, concentration, commitment to getting your songs and your sets tight.
And at a gig, it just shows the audience that your set is NOT tight.

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
cheezyridr
Banned

cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out

well said, mr shredd
cheezyridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Z. Wolf
Central Scrutinizer

Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts

Yeah, buy a suit and cowboy boots, that'll make me a pro..The day I dress to up to match the genre, you have permission to kick me in the nuts.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:14 AM   #9
phingerboard
Dung Foo Master

phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions

Suit for the win.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #10
cheezyridr
Banned

cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf View Post
Yeah, buy a suit and cowboy boots, that'll make me a pro..The day I dress to up to match the genre, you have permission to kick me in the nuts.

an interesting parallel is punk. it shares the same viewpoint.
curiously, it also shuns technical ability and professionalism.
cheezyridr is offline   Reply With Quote