Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 11-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Default Dead Audience

Ever have a gig and the audience just ignores you? It happened to us last night. These people must be brain dead or something.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
Underdog
...just sayin...

Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed

Yea... there's not a lot you can do about it. You can be at your best and do all you can and still get no real response. My first band once played a banking awards banquet. We were at our best. The food I heard was terrible and those who came were only there to see if they won an award and we were ignored. Once the awards were all handed out, everyone left. We had already been paid at the start of the night, so instead of playing to the janitors cleaning up the hall, we packed up and were gone by 930 that night. We tried our hardest but there's not much that can be done in that situation where the audience was forced to be there.

What kind of gig was yours?
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Some kind of dinner party for retired people. I think it's a pre-Thanksgiving party. The band sounded good, the room was boomy, but people just talked among themselves and for the most part ignored the band. We tried various styles of music trying to find something that the audience liked. We did well with similar audiences / similar parties before.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
Ever have a gig and the audience just ignores you? It happened to us last night. These people must be brain dead or something.
All. The. Time.
I try to remind myself that unless you're some sort of headliner or main attraction, people are NOT THERE TO SEE THE BAND. You're window dressing. Unless you can get the chix dancing, which is something we focus on.

That said...we used to have a great open mic here in my little town..a gathering of terrific players...it was held at the local coffeehouse/bar/hangout...and despite there being a decent crowd most nights, at least half the people barely listened. Pretty weird, 'cuz there's some terrific players where I live...

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill

Last edited by shredd; 11-21-2014 at 03:20 PM.
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

I haven't experienced that yet (haven't played many gigs) but if it were to happen, I'd say consider it a dress rehearsal...that you got paid for .
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
spacedog
mere mortal

spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd View Post
I try to remind myself that unless you're some sort of headliner or main attraction, people are NOT THERE TO SEE THE BAND. You're window dressing.
Yep. If you're playing a retirement party, you're just there for background music. People are there to talk to other people and celebrate, not hear you. They probably didn't even know there'd be a band until they got there. Just be thankful you got paid to do what a radio could have done, and look forward to your next REAL show.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

I've played litterally a hundred gigs where no body paid attention, and not because the music was bad, but simply because as stated, you were window dressing.

It really tests the Mettle of a band and it's members. Do you loose enthusiasm, or do individual members become insecure or uncomfortable?? Does someone want to leave mid gig?? I've seen all of that.

The best thing for the band, and believe it or not, the crowd, and especially the organizer, is that you continue as if "the thousands in attendance and millions watching around the world" to quote Michael Buffer, with as much energy and pop as you can so that at least you are seen as professional and willing to complete the job at hand. You might get called back to a crowd the next time that wants to rip off your clothes and throw panties....you never know in private gigs. I usually went into private gigs knowing that it wasn't about the band or the music, but the people there and their affair.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Normal, still it used to piss me off, and still would if I was gigging.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
SpookyGhost
Alligator Bite Tester

SpookyGhost The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking SpookyGhost The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

A few times as others have already mentioned. I'd much prefer to be ignored (like a lounge pianist) than get the polite, half-arsed clapping after a 4 second delay.

I do have an encounter indelibly burnt into my mind and up there with anything on Spinal Tap. This one time, at band camp, we played this club and as we were setting up, all these grey-haired ancients started arriving looking like extras from Cocoon. We approached the management and said "you know we're a rock band, right?" to which he said "yes, don't worry". Anyway, off we went backstage to get ready and came out, all guns blazing and when the dust had settled - we got 700 blank stares. A ten second pause of interminable silence. Then the half-baked polite applause I hate so much. We all wanted to curl up and die but on we ploughed, finishing each song to deathly silence, when the manager came on, thanked us and booted us off stage. And to make matters worse, we had to re-enter the hall and take down our equipment whilst they got the big band disco out and everyone took to the dance floor, having a whale of a time.

'Twas mortifying.
SpookyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:10 AM   #10
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd View Post
That said...we used to have a great open mic here in my little town..a gathering of terrific players...it was held at the local coffeehouse/bar/hangout...and despite there being a decent crowd most nights, at least half the people barely listened. Pretty weird, 'cuz there's some terrific players where I live...
Word. Experienced this exact same thing at an open mic back home.

Basically, the place was a big hangout for Vermont Law School students and networking and kibitzing were their major priorities. Unless you were one of them and playing a really cold, sterile Grateful Dead cover you might as well had been an iPod on shuffle.

It's shitty but as has been said there's not really much you can do about it. Makes it all the more satisfying when you do manage to pull someone in, though.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote