Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 11-25-2014, 01:45 AM   #11
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
I've played litterally a hundred gigs where no body paid attention, and not because the music was bad, but simply because as stated, you were window dressing.

It really tests the Mettle of a band and it's members. Do you loose enthusiasm, or do individual members become insecure or uncomfortable?? Does someone want to leave mid gig?? I've seen all of that.

The best thing for the band, and believe it or not, the crowd, and especially the organizer, is that you continue as if "the thousands in attendance and millions watching around the world" to quote Michael Buffer, with as much energy and pop as you can so that at least you are seen as professional and willing to complete the job at hand. You might get called back to a crowd the next time that wants to rip off your clothes and throw panties....you never know in private gigs. I usually went into private gigs knowing that it wasn't about the band or the music, but the people there and their affair.
I've been through this a bunch of times. One time in Toronto, my band opened up for the headliner band, who were good Friends of ours, but they had a huge following. Some of their followers were also followers of ours, but 90% were there to see the headliner.

After our first 2 songs back to back, our singer did the ritual "How's everyone doin' tonight?" rebel question. A couple of "woos", an "alright" yell, some whistling, some clapping.

That was a huge adrenalin breaker. Our Bassist, Brian, yelled over "fuck it, just give it, no breaks", and that's what we did. 45 minutes of just bringing it like the crowd was there for us, and us there for them.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:00 AM   #12
SustaiNZ
Exquisite Member

SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Here's a little secret. Maybe you're aware of it, maybe not. Ready? I said, "ARE YOU READY?!?!?!"

Here it is.

There are a lot of people out there who are simply not into music. Period. Not one fucking bit.

Often times, as already mentioned, you, the band, are just window dressing, background white noise, just kind of...there...with no second thought given to your existence. If it's a bar, often times the peeps are just there to drink and socialize, and they notice, "Huh, there's a band here..." and it's nothing more to them than having a jukebox or piped music over the sound system.

But there are people who are even more aloof to your presence - those people for whom music has absolutely no meaning or relevance to their lives whatsoever. Shock ! Horror ! I know. But those lifeless, soul-less beings are out there, and they vote and reproduce.

There is absolutely nothing you can do about it except what Keith said his band did:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Our Bassist, Brian, yelled over "fuck it, just give it, no breaks", and that's what we did. 45 minutes of just bringing it like the crowd was there for us, and us there for them.
That's all you can do. Once you realize that there are those who could not care less that your toanz is sent from heaven above and that you're pouring your heart and soul into every note and chord - and truly accept it - the gigging scene becomes much less frustrating.

(And we don't even need to go into the reality that music, especially live music, is fast becoming more and more of a disposable commodity much akin to a Bic lighter.)
Old 12-31-2014, 02:47 AM   #13
DrumBob

DrumBob Just getting started

It happens and it sucks, but you make the most of it, get paid and go home to fight another day.

We played a banquet for our local volunteer fire company last year. They wanted us to bring a girl singer, so we did, so we had to have a couple of rehearsals with her. With all the work and preparation we did, nobody seemed to care if we were there or not. We played a lightweight first set, and then took what turned out to be an almost two hour break while an unending line of old farts got up to talk about being a fireman in the community, giving each other awards, etc. By the time they were done gassing about themselves, everybody wanted to go home. We got up to play a second set, and the place emptied out in about twenty minutes. I was livid, as the guy who hired me assured me they wanted to party and have a good time. It was like playing for a funeral. What a bunch of stiffs.

Another time, we played for a young couple who had never had a wedding reception and were now having a big party for friends and family. We were in a room at a country club, but everyone was sitting outside on the boardwalk. NOBODY came in to listen to us at all. On top of that, it was summer, it was 90 degrees, and the doors were wide open. The couple was apologetic. Wasn't much they could do to get people to go inside, I guess.

You have to take the great gigs with the bad.
DrumBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:21 AM   #14
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SustaiNZ View Post
Here's a little secret. Maybe you're aware of it, maybe not. Ready? I said, "ARE YOU READY?!?!?!"

Here it is.

There are a lot of people out there who are simply not into music. Period. Not one fucking bit.

Often times, as already mentioned, you, the band, are just window dressing, background white noise, just kind of...there...with no second thought given to your existence. If it's a bar, often times the peeps are just there to drink and socialize, and they notice, "Huh, there's a band here..." and it's nothing more to them than having a jukebox or piped music over the sound system.

But there are people who are even more aloof to your presence - those people for whom music has absolutely no meaning or relevance to their lives whatsoever. Shock ! Horror ! I know. But those lifeless, soul-less beings are out there, and they vote and reproduce.

There is absolutely nothing you can do about it except what Keith said his band did:

That's all you can do. Once you realize that there are those who could not care less that your toanz is sent from heaven above and that you're pouring your heart and soul into every note and chord - and truly accept it - the gigging scene becomes much less frustrating.

(And we don't even need to go into the reality that music, especially live music, is fast becoming more and more of a disposable commodity much akin to a Bic lighter.)

Speaking of around this area these people are called farmers.
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #15
cheezyridr
Banned

cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SustaiNZ View Post

i was about 25 when i first realized this. just blew me the eff away. was previously inconceivable to me.
cheezyridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #16
CurlyPaul

CurlyPaul Just getting started

I don't get them either, I thought everyone had music they liked to listen to but there are a disturbing number of people who couldn't give a shit about it at all. I don't know how they cope.
Turn off your inner critic. He's an asshole who will goad you into the grave with "But you could have done that better, Schmuck." Tell him to fuck right off, seriously. Stop worrying about being Good, and get on with the playing.
CurlyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:55 PM   #17
JuanMoore

JuanMoore Just getting started

thats why playing music to me is exactly the same regardless of when or where i do it. i stopped playing for the enjoyment of the people years ago.

and soon after that, i noticed that the people who enjoyed it, actually enjoyed it more once they realized that me or my band didnt give a crap if they were there or not, which in turn caused us to care more about their enjoyment levels, meaning we had found the people who wanted to find us and be found. it was awesome.
JuanMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:41 PM   #18
classicrock

classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma

I played in a well rehearsed country band in the 90's with a female front. We had some terrific musicians in the band and played some big clubs in Calif. But What I hated was Tuesday Night "Free Line Dance Lessons". People would pack the place 500 seats and a basket ball gym sized dance floor. They were there for one thing...free dance lessons, that was it. They would sit at the tables and order water after their one drink minimum. We would knock a song out of the park that would bring the bring the house down on a Friday or Saturday and instead of applause we would get complaints of "you played that song too fast. At 10:00 after the free lessons were over we'd be lucky if there were one or 2 tables were still occupied.
classicrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:43 PM   #19
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

I've also been in a situation or 12, where audience members are into what you are doing, but then make almost stupid requests. You are a rock band living on Zep, bad company, doobies, Free, Thin Lizzy etc. and you get asked to do some Parlament Funkadelic tune or similar and of course you don't know it... then suddenly you don't know a damn thing....
Old 12-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #20
S. Rock

S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
--- and you get asked to do some --- tune or similar and of course you don't know it... then suddenly you don't know a damn thing....
yep, I've definitely been there before.

I learned many years ago not to play and sing where the people are eating. I played one place once where I was the entertainment while the audience had some kind of special/gathering meal. they were sitting there talking and eating and not even listening to me. so, I finished my "set list" and packed up my guitar and left. the only time they noticed me was when I left.