Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 11-22-2014, 10:37 PM   #11
80's Rock
Wannabe Guitarist

80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow

Six...after who knows how many years (playing not of age ) you have to go and ask this question ?
Old 11-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #12
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home

Got to try and pass on what little wisdom I have
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #13
80's Rock
Wannabe Guitarist

80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow

Old 11-23-2014, 12:00 AM   #14
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops

Starting a band from new? Solid Bassist, solid drummer without egos/'tude. Bass and drums are the foundation.

If you have the 2 of them gelling well with each other as well as you playing guitar, it's a beautiful thing.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:08 AM   #15
padams215

padams215 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Starting a band from new? Solid Bassist, solid drummer without egos/'tude. Bass and drums are the foundation.

If you have the 2 of them gelling well with each other as well as you playing guitar, it's a beautiful thing.
When I was living in San Diego, I was playing bass with a drummer and we decided to add a couple of guitar players. put a ad in the local "want ad" paper and our phones rang off the hook for about a week. We had about 60 guitar players call, it was nuts.

Moral of the story is: finding a good drummer and bass player is tough so it should be your primary focus. a person with solid vocals is a rare bird also.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:47 AM   #16
Austin R
Hip to be square

Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
Starting a whole new band... quite honestly, I've never seen it done; every band I know of was formed of parts of other pre-existing bands. I don't know of a single case where each member met the others for the first time and ended up forming a brand new band.

Not saying it's impossible; just never seen a pure case of it actually happening.
Yup. Someone always knows someone else prior to the band starting.

The singer and opposite guitarist were in a brand prior to mine now, the bassist is my uncle, and my dad and my uncle have known the drummer for quite some time.
Carvin DC127, PRS McCarty Soapbar, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender Mexican Stratocaster, Epiphone Les Paul Trad. Pro,
Austin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:57 AM   #17
SustaiNZ
Exquisite Member

SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
Starting a whole new band... quite honestly, I've never seen it done; every band I know of was formed of parts of other pre-existing bands. I don't know of a single case where each member met the others for the first time and ended up forming a brand new band.
So what if different band members came from other bands? If they're all together for the first time in a different band...it's a new band.

Besides, the thread topic was "forming a *gigging* band" not "forming a *new* band."
Cited for relevance.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:48 AM   #18
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'll chime in here...
Yes, a good drummer is crucial. A good bass player is also very very important. And a good vocalist - whether it's a 'front man/woman' or one of the players - is also important. If a front-person, good charisma is important.
But I'll put forth that for a band to be a functional unit, practice and play together well, get gigs, and carry on as a going concern...perhaps the most critical element is to have "good" people. By that I mean that - beyond their musical abilities - you need a group of mature, reasonable, cooperative people that get along, are on the same page, and work together for a common vision.
Otherwise, you're just in for another helping of the bleary nightmare that all of us have been through - the band that doesn't work.

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:21 AM   #19
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd View Post
I'll chime in here...
Yes, a good drummer is crucial. A good bass player is also very very important. And a good vocalist - whether it's a 'front man/woman' or one of the players - is also important. If a front-person, good charisma is important.
But I'll put forth that for a band to be a functional unit, practice and play together well, get gigs, and carry on as a going concern...perhaps the most critical element is to have "good" people. By that I mean that - beyond their musical abilities - you need a group of mature, reasonable, cooperative people that get along, are on the same page, and work together for a common vision.
Otherwise, you're just in for another helping of the bleary nightmare that all of us have been through - the band that doesn't work.
^^^^ YES!!

A band is like a team...well it IS a team. It may sound cliché, but it is true...it is much more than the sum of its parts. When I play with my band, I play better...that's no lie. Week after week at rehearsal, my playing and my improvised solos ALWAYS sound better than when I play them at home over a backing track. It's not pressure...I don't know what it is, and frankly I don't care .

We've had a situation also where another guitar player was just in it for himself and his ego. He crashed and burned...and his playing suffered. He's no longer with the band.

Musicianship is important but will only carry you so far...be a mature individual and be a team player...and get a few like minded people together, and amazing things will happen!!

It's my wish that everybody with and interest in making music and some kernel of musical capability gets to experience what this is like at least ONCE in their lifetime.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:09 AM   #20
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggior View Post
^^^^ YES!!

A band is like a team...well it IS a team. It may sound cliché, but it is true...it is much more than the sum of its parts. When I play with my band, I play better...that's no lie. Week after week at rehearsal, my playing and my improvised solos ALWAYS sound better than when I play them at home over a backing track. It's not pressure...I don't know what it is, and frankly I don't care .

We've had a situation also where another guitar player was just in it for himself and his ego. He crashed and burned...and his playing suffered. He's no longer with the band.

Musicianship is important but will only carry you so far...be a mature individual and be a team player...and get a few like minded people together, and amazing things will happen!!

It's my wish that everybody with and interest in making music and some kernel of musical capability gets to experience what this is like at least ONCE in their lifetime.
You will always get more dynamics in the band than with backing tracks. I think a good band player is also a good listener. For example as you do your solo the over all volume or intensity may go up our down with your solo with the rest of the band listening to what your playing and adjusting what there doing slightly to compliment your playing.a bt can't do that.
To add to what has been said don't forget a good pa if you are a great band with just a shitty pa the comments from the crowd are not going to concentrate on hey great drummer it will be ` they vocals are hurting my ears`