Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 11-23-2014, 03:15 AM   #21
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo View Post
You will always get more dynamics in the band than with backing tracks. I think a good band player is also a good listener. For example as you do your solo the over all volume or intensity may go up our down with your solo with the rest of the band listening to what your playing and adjusting what there doing slightly to compliment your playing.a bt can't do that.
To add to what has been said don't forget a good pa if you are a great band with just a shitty pa the comments from the crowd are not going to concentrate on hey great drummer it will be ` they vocals are hurting my ears`
^^^^Yes!! Also make the sound guy your best buddy...he can either make your sound awesome...or like absolute crap!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #22
padams215

padams215 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd View Post
I'll chime in here...
Yes, a good drummer is crucial. A good bass player is also very very important. And a good vocalist - whether it's a 'front man/woman' or one of the players - is also important. If a front-person, good charisma is important.
But I'll put forth that for a band to be a functional unit, practice and play together well, get gigs, and carry on as a going concern...perhaps the most critical element is to have "good" people. By that I mean that - beyond their musical abilities - you need a group of mature, reasonable, cooperative people that get along, are on the same page, and work together for a common vision.
Otherwise, you're just in for another helping of the bleary nightmare that all of us have been through - the band that doesn't work.
Just to ad to this, I have been in 4 bands, 3 of them were people that I was friends and co-workers with prior to playing. They all had a pretty good vibe. the 4th one I replied to an ad that these guys needed a bass player. I applied, got the gig and left the band about 3 months later. It had everything going on that I didn't care for. drugs, people not showing up, showing up late, flaking out...etc. massive drama swirling around people I didn't know and really didn't care for.

As for the ad that me and the drummer put in, we ended up going with another guy that we worked with. Had a ball and stayed together until I moved.

I view this more as you are in a relationship first, band second. If you don't get along, get away.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #23
SustaiNZ
Exquisite Member

SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute SustaiNZ is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

The thread is about forming a *gigging" band, not just "a band." There are many bands that don't gig, and many things that apply to a gigging band would not apply to non-gigging bands.

As somebody else mentioned, if indeed the operative term is "gigging", a gigging band is a business and should be treated as such. It is not the music business either. If you are going to be playing in bars, then you're in the bar business. If playing weddings, then you are in the wedding reception business; restaurants/lounges, then it's the restaurant/lounge business; parties...you get the idea.

If you are going to get into serious gigging - I'd say that means at least 3 nights a week, minimum 3 full 45-50 minute sets - then there are considerations that must be made *if you want to be successful.* While it certainly helps to not have any animosity, you don't need to be mates, friends, whatever. I actually have turned away from playing with people who are friends because we weren't on the same wavelength musically, and I didn't want that to interfere with our friendship.

You have to be able to get together on the same sheet of music (the pun is there if you want it) and produce with a common goal in mind - getting and keeping gigs and getting more gigs. That is what separates the good gigging bands from the rest and also explains why there are so many mediocre cover bands.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #24
Andywragg
Fingers less stupid now

Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Can't believe no on has mentioned transport. You need to be able to get from A to B.

Our band started from scratch, from attendee's at a local jam night. Headless and me are the founding members and we've had a number of guys on drums and bass, mostly youngsters, come and go. They join the band as rookies, improve and move on to other things. I guess you'd call us a development band. The young-uns get to learn the stage craft and they get paid for it.

Being professional with hosts is critical. If you are easy to deal with and put on a good show that keep's folks entertained, they'll have you back. We arent great vocally and sometimes our playing is a little off, but we generally get repeat business. Whilst we play predominantly punky stuff the last half of our final set is just party songs that gets the girls jiggling. We enjoy ourselves and have a laugh, crack a few bad jokes, all good fun.

Regular practice is key. Even a simple 3 chord Ramones song needs to be well executed. Stops and starts need to be crisp, timing amongst the band is essential. This only comes with regular band play. I know of a couple of technically more proficient bands that have cried off some of the songs we do, simply cos they never could get the timing down.

My Band
http://www.theyournextband.co.uk
Andywragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #25
Andywragg
Fingers less stupid now

Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Also gear.

You dont have to have G or F word guitars but make sure the gear you use is capable and roadworthy. Be as professional about your setup and strip down and folks will take notice. - These guys know what they are doing - half the battle's won before you even start.

My Band
http://www.theyournextband.co.uk
Andywragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #26
headless

headless The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking headless The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking headless The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking headless The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking headless The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

After seeing my bandmate Andy's replies that are very good by the way, it got me thinking and I've come up with a few more, never slag off other bands or more importantly, venues, it just looks bad on yourselves as a band, so if you can't say anything nice don't say anything, also try to if you can get people in the band that are just in your band, we have had and still have a situation where other members of the band are also in other bands, one guy was in 3, they are having a blast but you are having to cancel gigs or rehearsals due to clashes, and it causes animosity between band members however hard you try to make it work, that's on a personal note, but again getting the right equipment for the venues you play and being able to get all the gear there is pretty much essential, it can take time and you can start with a basic setup and add or change as you get better and bring in a bit of dosh to pay for it, and it helps if everybody in the band helps to unpack and set up and more importantly after a gig help to pack away, nothing worse that 3 of you packing away and 1 guy chatting up the ladies, that leads to...... "the dark side"
headless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:16 PM   #27
Abulldog

Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow Abulldog Confuses Ass and Elbow

Chemistry trumps everything. It's not about finding a good drummer or singer. It's about finding a group of guys who can play together, work together and who also share the same set of goals for the band.

I've played with several "amazing" musicians. Bass players whom I thought were as good as Les Claypool or Geddy Lee. Drummers who could hit like John Bonham. Rhythm guitar players who could jam with just about anyone, anywhere, anyplace. And lead guitar players who's shredding could melt your face off.

In the end, EVERY band I "started" (probably around 20 different projects) either failed or never got off the ground and it's because we all had different philosophies, or the level of commitment wasn't the same as other group members or yadda, yadda, yadda.

The 3 most enjoyable bands that I've worked with, 2 were with friends and another was a group of people where the drummer had started out with literally just starting out on drums and the singer was his wife whom also had no experience and a rotating group of drummers. I still jam with all 3 groups when I get the chance and all of them are more enjoyable than anything else that I've done with other musicians.

My only advice, however, is that when you find a good musician and things don't work out... MAKE SURE TO KEEP IN CONTACT WITH THEM FOR FUTURE PROJECTS.
Schecter C-1+ w/ Blackouts

Blackstar HT60, Fender Bassman, Fender '65 DRRI, Fargen Blackbird
Abulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:57 PM   #28
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home

It starts with vocals. I agree chemistry is important as well as the other suggestions in the thread but if you don't have strong vocals, stay home IMO.
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:40 AM   #29
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops

Sorry, Sixstring, but I respectfully disagree. If there is not a strong band behind the vocals, then stay at home or create an instrumental band unit. The musicians make the music. The vocalist sings over the vibe the band as a whole and makes it better, and if you have both and get on well with each other and are compatible, then don't stay home.

With that said, I do agree a solid vocalist is part of the key to making a solid band better. I just don't agree that making great music starts with having strong vocals/ist.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:52 AM   #30
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home Sixstringplayer The lights are on but there's nobody home

That's just it, technology can replace a band. If you need midi drums or bass, boom!! It's there. So your a guitar player and you have a great singer, but you can't find a drummer or bass player. Add tech and you have an act. And not just an act, an act that will go over. We don't have to agree, but I certainly respect your point of view. Your still on my Christmas list

Last edited by Sixstringplayer; 11-25-2014 at 02:01 AM.
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote