Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 12-05-2014, 04:13 AM   #1
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Default Same ol' song 'n dance...

Boy, this one bites...mainly 'cuz I've never had this happen, in all my years of playing.
For all my years - decades - of playing experience, I've actually been in very few bands. In fact, most of my performing has been of the solo type, plus lots of studio time.

SO. last year about this time, a band happened. A guy I already knew, a pretty decent guitar player, had played with a guy who was a pretty good singer/frontman. The both knew a pretty solid drummer, and I offered to play bass. We all sing.
In no time, we had put together a kickazz setlist, played very well together, liked each other, had fun.
The only real downside was that the drummer was a pup, very busy, also freshly divorced and hawring around bigtime; it was kinda hard to pin him down to practices. But, we still managed and it went great. Did a handful of gigs and just CRUSHED it.

Forward to April. Everyone scatters for various purposes; we didn't play together for about 6-7 weeks. Then the drummer ran away from home to become a professional mountain bike racer, leaving us drummer-less, as we live in a teeny, very remote town.
We played very sparingly, without a drummer, through the fall, trying to stay tight and find a drummer. There was hope.

Then...the lead singer/frontman, who'd gotten engaged in July, had general upheaval: lost/left his job, moved in w/gfriend; he seemed to have no time to commit to playing/practice.
So me n the git'rist played together a few times, keep our chops on our setlist...all while bitching about the singer bailing on us.
In addition, the git'rist was traveling a lot for work.

Still...we thought that once everyone got their stuff together, we'd be playing.

Forward to recent weeks - perhaps the last 4-6 weeks...the singer (who apparently has severe substance problems - smokes weed in a reckless manner, and is a severe alcoholic) has had a nearly total meltdown: drinking heavily, has become violent and threatening to his g/friend, seems to be unable to undertake any sort of moneymaking effort. He's a mess.

So...as far as I can tell, this band is totally defunct. I'm bummed, 'cuz it was fun, we were good, and Shania is STILL not returning my phone calls, so - frankly - I wouldn't mind meeting some ladies, which is often a nice little perk of playing in a band.

It's hard to really beach about it, since this has only happened, oh say, a billion times, to a million people, in a thousand bands...but I'm pretty disappointed, and there isn't a lot of opportunity for me to form something new.

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
cheezyridr
Banned

cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd View Post
the singer (who apparently has severe substance problems - smokes weed in a reckless manner,

gotta watch out for those careless pot smokers! THEY EAT BABIES!!!!

cheezyridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Hi Hat

Hi Hat Just getting started Hi Hat Just getting started

That happens to bands sometimes. Are you willing to move to a town that has more musicians?
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
Z. Wolf
Central Scrutinizer

Z. Wolf Compulsively Maturbates Z. Wolf Compulsively Maturbates Z. Wolf Compulsively Maturbates Z. Wolf Compulsively Maturbates Z. Wolf Compulsively Maturbates Z. Wolf Compulsively Maturbates Z. Wolf Compulsively Maturbates

Just imagine how Paul, George and Ringo felt when Yoko started hanging around..but yeah, getting 4-5 people all on the same page can be a real pain in the ass. As sure as the sun will shine, bands will break up and you'll just have to keep on trying till next time. Get a looper and smoke some weed prudently and enjoy!
Old 12-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
cheezyridr
Banned

cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out

i rarely find relevance for that pic
cheezyridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
Ace Rimmer
What a guy!

Ace Rimmer Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumachan View Post
gotta watch out for those careless pot smokers! THEY EAT BABIES!!!!

Damn, that sammich looks tasty. Think I'll make one for myself, someone hold my bong...
Old 12-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
That happens to bands sometimes. Are you willing to move to a town that has more musicians?
Interesting question...I would LOVE to move somewhere with a thriving band scene, or at least somewhere where I could be in a good band.
But...I also have constraints not related to music: like most Americans, I'm scraping by in an under-employed situation; yet don't want to leave my reasonably steady employment that is providing me support - while I see other people eating Alpo and repairing their kids' shoes with duct tape and superglue. I also have physical limitations to where I can live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf View Post
Just imagine how Paul, George and Ringo felt when Yoko started hanging around..but yeah, getting 4-5 people all on the same page can be a real pain in the ass. As sure as the sun will shine, bands will break up and you'll just have to keep on trying till next time. Get a looper and smoke some weed prudently and enjoy!
No DOUBT!
But, 'wolf...you are absolutely right on all counts. I realize that is how it goes...I"m just disappointed...

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
no talent hack
Fun loving nihilist

no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms

You don't want to get back together with that singer anyway. Until he gets clean from the booze and talks to a head shrinker he's always going to be just one drink away from being psychotic.

Good luck moving forward.

- Some Loser
no talent hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
rudos1
the Deuce

rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates rudos1 Compulsively Maturbates

So tough to make the band thing work. Just keep playing and watching CL for like minded folks...
Old 12-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudos1 View Post
So tough to make the band thing work. Just keep playing and watching CL for like minded folks...
Had to think a bit as to what CL was...Craigslist...got it .

Around here (NJ), there are a lot of odd balls on there. We've been warned by numerous people in the local music scene to avoid any singers current up there in our arera.

We found a couple people of interest on BandMix. They didn't pan out, but it was worth a shot.

Hope you get things sorted...sure is dissapointing.

...and here I thought this was going to be a thread about a cool Aerosmith song .
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote