Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 01-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
Spoons

Spoons Just getting started
Default Shakespeare Got To Get Paid, Son

20 years from when I picked up the thing...I'm finally getting paid regularly to play it.

*Sigh*

So much time spent learning guitar. So much time spent changing broken strings. Reading about setup. Reading about delay settings. Reading reading reading. Playing playing playing. Hauling gear. Playing for ashtrays. Band drama.

Finally, I can buy my own cigarettes, and I'm recording in swank studios.

*Double sigh*

Sweet relief.

Do you remember when you first started getting paid? Have you started getting paid yet? Get your look together, record a video, post to craigslist saying "Guitarist Available," and see what happens. It worked for me...but then, I live in Nashville.

And we're off!
Spoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Cool story! After 30+ years, I may start getting paid to play this summer. Never thought I would get paid, so it's all good. I certainly won't be quitting my day job, but perhaps it will fund some new gear.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #3
cheezyridr
Banned

cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out

i used to be elvis. i switched with this guy named sebastian haff. he was the best of the elvis impersonators. when i wanted to switch back, he double crossed me. now i'm old, and in a rest home in east texas, with a growth on my pecker.

cheezyridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow

I always got paid, played a couple of union Orchestra gigs in HS and several Pizzas nights at Shakey's (Free Soda and Pizza counts, right?) Then graduated early from HS and entered the Air Force as a musician in a band. First paycheck was $153 dollars, always remember that because the car I wanted, a TransAm 455 SD had $155 payments. Did't realize it would go up to $450 after boot camp.
iConnectAudio4+
BigDawgsByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:41 AM   #5
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Having never been what is catagorized as a "Pro", I got paid what everybody else got paid during my real gigging yrs. from 1972 through my last formal gig around 1999. It was usually the split with getting maybe 125 to 150 ea. depending on club or organization.

I've never ever relied solely on music or guitar to make any part of my living, it was always discretionary funds to be used on gear, fun, and being able to say I got paid.

Having never been a studio guy, nor famous, nor in demand, I think it was fine for what it was, when it was.

Everyone has the dream, but very very few actually can eat and get by on music alone, even very skilled, chop heavy folks.

My best jam buddy for over 20 yrs., I considered a pro due to his skill and past accomplishments, yet in the end, he was living with his mother at 50 something yrs. old...I just couldn't see that for myself, no matter the skill level I attained and continue to have.

Congratulations to you for perservering long enough to have a paycheck and be playing for it.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #6
Andywragg
Fingers less stupid now

Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Andywragg The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

A friend of mine is a pro bass player. He toured with Tony Martin (of Black Sabbath) does session work, teaches guitar and bass, tours with a couple of professional B list bands here in the UK every week, and works tirelessly. Being a professional musician is his livelihood.

He has a very modest living, I wouldnt say he's permanently skint but he's no where near rolling in it.

My Band
http://www.theyournextband.co.uk
Andywragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #7
Man In Black

Man In Black The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Man In Black The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Never made money with music before, but I graduate high school this year and hopefully I'll be starting soon. If not I'll be living under a bridge with my guitar.
FSR Stratocaster® HSH
Baby Taylor
Schecter C-1 Diamond Series
Schecter Synyster Joker Custom
Martin DXM Dreadnought
Man In Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:31 AM   #8
Stephenb97

Stephenb97 Just getting started

I've not been playing long but I've been messing with music since as long as I can remember. I'm still in high school but hopefully I'll be able to make money playing soon.
Stephenb97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:40 AM   #9
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgsByte View Post
I always got paid, played a couple of union Orchestra gigs in HS and several Pizzas nights at Shakey's (Free Soda and Pizza counts, right?) Then graduated early from HS and entered the Air Force as a musician in a band. First paycheck was $153 dollars, always remember that because the car I wanted, a TransAm 455 SD had $155 payments. Did't realize it would go up to $450 after boot camp.
We used to have Shakeys pizza out here, Im not sure if we still do.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #10
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Sometimes I dress up like Jimi, take my microcube and guitar out on the street and make feedback sounds for a hour. People put money in my tip jar. People pull up in their cars to watch me make feedback sounds.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote