Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 03-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies
Default Vanishing singer

Up until a few years ago I had never sung anywhere but in the shower. I was in a band (rhythm guitar player) for a long time that never got off the ground due to all the usual issues & then finally one day it all came together & we actually had a handful of gigs lined up. You know the story....

Anyway, our singer had never sung in a band before or in front of an audience. She was an excellent singer & was doing great. About 2 weeks before our first gig she got a major case of cold feet. She left rehearsal one night & we never saw her again. She would not return calls, texts, voice messages, nothing. Well, the show must go on, so I volunteered to give it a try till we could find another singer. My bandmates were delighted with my singing (half deaf & no taste at all) so 2 weeks later I sang for the first time in front of a large audience & they never did look for another singer.

That band is no longer together but they gave me the confidence to sing as well as play guitar. I will never forget that.
ALy
Old 03-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #2
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

The band I was in long ago had the same problem with a drummer. We went through drummers at the rate of about one a month. Finally we found a great drummer, but he completely folded when we had a big booking.

Thankfully the next guy was even better, and a real showman, he loved gigs.

BTW This thread title is a great Album Title.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #3
Z. Wolf
Central Scrutinizer

Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts

Flakes..the world is full of them.

I've been in the cold feet club but the show must go on, so I wore my warm boots!
Old 03-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

It helps me to sing scales along with a keyboard.

Keep looking for another band. You'll do fine.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #5
CeeDeeMac
Custom User Title

CeeDeeMac The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking CeeDeeMac The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

My good friend from Maine, has a weekend band, Zombie Beach, that plays surf and rock-a-billy music (no vocals). When a new bassist joined, he showed up at the first gig with a welder's mask because he said he would be too nervous for everyone to see him. Well, it kinda became a "thing".

And Aly, from what I can tell, you can do pretty much anything you set your mind to.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
MuskRatt
Feeling Compunctious

MuskRatt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking MuskRatt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking MuskRatt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDeeMac View Post
My good friend from Maine, has a weekend band, Zombie Beach, that plays surf and rock-a-billy music (no vocals). When a new bassist joined, he showed up at the first gig with a welder's mask because he said he would be too nervous for everyone to see him. Well, it kinda became a "thing".

And Aly, from what I can tell, you can do pretty much anything you set your mind to.

LOL, They look like a mixed bag of tricks.
Laney IRT60H IronHeart
Peavey Original 412MS G12K-85's 1989 mfg.
Roland Cube 20X
MuskRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies

CDM,
Haha, that's funny......a little hot tho for that welders mask
ALy

Hi Hat,
Done with the band thing...too many nuts & divas & live music has all but vanished in my area. There are too many bands fighting over the same 2 dives to play in once in month for peanuts. It was fun for a while but I'm over it.
Aly
Old 03-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
Genereaux

Genereaux Just getting started

Before I started this current band, the band I was in was 3 guitarists, and one would do most of the singing. However he had some substance struggles, and wound up unavailable and/or unable to play quite a handful of our shows. Which would leave us only able to play a third of our normal setlist.
That experience really tipped the scales for me. Adding to the frustration of many writing scenarios beforehand where I write some pretty damn good songs with a partner then that environment would go away and I was unable to play those songs because I couldn't sing them, I decided I would just do my own singing (yelling) from then out.
10 years on now, and it's been the most productive and longest lasting band/artistic endeavor I've been a part of.

So I'd say good for you and keep on it.
Genereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #9
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Interesting stories. The welder's mask this is hysterical! Hey, if Buckethead can get away with putting a KFC chicken bucket on his head, what's wrong with a welder's mask!

Wow Aly, given your singing I assumed you had been singing out for many years. It's happened to lots of bands where the lead singers leaves and another band member steps up. Genesis is a good example. Spock's Beard also.

Some of us creative type as just weird. I would go through bouts of self doubt in my playing. I learned to deal with it. Playing on stage was the rush for me!! Once you overcome the cold feet, it's an incredible experience. My first time on stage, I could barely stand up AFTER we were done...I started to shake. From then on though, I thoroughly enjoyed being up there.

It's too bad I didn't do this 15 or 20 years ago when I had the time. Just not something I can manage now...
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #10
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggior View Post
My first time on stage, I could barely stand up AFTER we were done...I started to shake.
I hope the drummer gave you a set of maracas and said it was an encore solo