Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 03-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
epicowl

epicowl Just getting started
Question Any Prog-Rock/Prog-Metal Fans?

Personally I'm into bands like CHON, Animals as Leaders, Scale the Summit, Vildjharta, and Plini. What prog-rock/metal do you guys listen to?
epicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:35 PM   #2
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

Maiden, Sabbath, Scissorfight, Children of Bodom, Death, Sam Black Church, Blood Duster, Carcass... I'm probably missing some stuff.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Mervin j Minky

Mervin j Minky Just getting started

Na, me and the missus are not into Prog.

I understand what's going on,and some phenomenal playing, but just doesn't do it for us.

More Black, Melodic and a bit of Folk Metal.

Windir, Vreid (backstage pass for these guys), Immortal, Bathory, Cor Scorpii, Mayhem(met these guys in Helsinki), Ensiferum, Children of Bodom, Kalmah, Nargaroth, Dimmu Borgir, Finntroll, In Flames, Insomnium, Mistur, Old Mans Child, Opeth, Korpiklaani, Amon Amarth, The Haunted, and dare I even mention Burzum. In no particular order,and the list goes on.

We both grew up through Maiden, Preist, Accept, Megadeth, Slayer etc.

No Staiway in our place
Mervin j Minky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

Rush, Queensr˙che, Dream Theater just to name a few for me.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I like to listen to 'em once in a while but I get bored after awhile. I like the attitude of hard stuff most of the time like Coal Chamber and the likes.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
phingerboard
Dung Foo Master

phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions

I've always liked the concept but when somebody tries too hard to be different or weird (in any aspect of life, not just music), it just comes off as pretentious and soon gets tiresome and boring as a previous poster said. Bands like King's X can pull the prog angle off because they make it feel like they're just doing what fits - it doesn't sound unnatural because it doesn't feel like a forced or contrived schtick. The Police hit the sweet spot for a little while before they pushed the button too hard and started to sound like they were more interested in wanking than in rocking.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:48 PM   #7
cooper71

cooper71 Just getting started

Rush, Nektar, Supersister...
cooper71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #8
JoeTurner

JoeTurner Just getting started

Prog rock, yes...prog metal? not really....unless you count Rush.

Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica and the like are not Prog metal...Dream Theatre is...Mastodon is at least arguably Prog Metal.

To be honest, I haven't heard most of the bands listed, but in my mind it has to incorporate multiple genres and influences to be considered Prog metal...not just contain complex time signatures and virtuoso playing.

I dunno about "metal" but I would classify the Mars Volta as Prog.

*edit*

I do like Black Sabbath and Metallica (early stuff at least) but I would not classify them as prog by any means.
JoeTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #9
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTurner View Post
Prog rock, yes...prog metal? not really....unless you count Rush.
Not sure I'd call them metal, but definitely rock.

For me, it's Jethro Tull and Rush. Not into metal.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #10
JoeTurner

JoeTurner Just getting started

Rush are definitely foundational to the Prog Metal genre though.... Jethro Tull are rock with some Prog leanings/albums
JoeTurner is offline   Reply With Quote