Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 03-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
The Badger

The Badger Just getting started
Default Help Request

Hey guys

Following on from my "Learning By Ear" thread where everyone gave me great advice and help I've decided on a plan of action for my playing.

Basically I have chosen 12 songs that I want to learn...all by ear.
What I'm hoping is that you guys can help me out with each song I'm learning. I'll post up which song I'm working on and then give my analysis of it which will include the key, time signature, possible tunings, the chords and progression as well as the solo scale too.

I'd like to get some feedback from you guys about how on track I am with it but WITHOUT actually telling me what it is if I get something wrong. Just a hint to try again ;-)

When I feel I've got the song down well and learnt l enough I will post a vid of me playing it, so then you can see if there's anything else I need to work on technique wise .

I'm also working through some Troy Stetina books I bought too which will help I hope.

Anyways, I'd really appreciate it if you guys could help in any way you can, that'd be awesome !
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
Hi Hat

Hi Hat Just getting started Hi Hat Just getting started

What song do you want to learn?
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
The Badger

Brilliant that's great thanks for helping out!!

First song I've been learning is Speed Parade by Slashs Snakepit.
This version
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CPJdZsgR5H4

Iv got nearly all of it apart from a few riffs and the solo and will post a video up tomorrow.

So you think the best way to go about this is to just play what I hear without any naming or theory Paul?
I'll give that a go as I do have a tendency to name something and then follow that assumption completely.

Also, what do you think is the best way of choosing the songs? I had 12 all picked out by different artists I like. Is it good to mix things up a lot or to just stick with one artist for a bit?
Old 03-29-2015, 08:03 PM   #4
SpookyGhost
Alligator Bite Tester

SpookyGhost The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking SpookyGhost The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

The advice you've been given is, IMO, terrible. But it's your call.
SpookyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #5
The Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyGhost View Post
The advice you've been given is, IMO, terrible. But it's your call.
What makes you say that?
Old 03-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
SpookyGhost
Alligator Bite Tester

SpookyGhost The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking SpookyGhost The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Check your PM.
SpookyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:42 PM   #7
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

^^^^^^ I'm curious too, and I think/hope others in addition to the OP would be interested in your opinions. This is, after all, supposed to be a discussion forum.
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:40 AM   #8
Underdog
...just sayin...

Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed

Forum co - admin
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:47 AM   #9
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Old 03-30-2015, 03:23 AM   #10
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

I love the smiley it pure cracks me up
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote