Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 03-30-2015, 12:24 AM   #21
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flake_E_lee View Post
it ended up sounding like plink,plonk,plink,divebomb,frantic with wammy bar for till the rythmn kicks back in
big oops,i just drew a blank totally

No one even noticed I bet !
ALy

WOW, Hi Hat, that's crazy talent !
Old 03-30-2015, 01:29 AM   #22
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

If i go to do a solo and my dementia kicks in I just do an impression of the jam clinic. I think if you try to play what you can't remember and not think what chord you are playing over it all goes to shit

Songs that have melodic sing along solos are the worst . You forget the lead so you improvise. Technically you play the right notes but all the punters and the rats in the cellar know you've fucked up. Sweet child of mine is the Classic example and I have a few of those tshirts.
Add alcohol to the mix and its even worse. Well the playing might not be but guaranteed it will be louder
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #23
headless

headless The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking headless The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking headless The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking headless The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking headless The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

We've all done it dude, it's live music, if the audience is on your side it's not a problem, I usually make a joke of it after the song has finished, "well I really fucked that up" or something like that, the worst thing you can do is look uncomfortable cos it makes the audience uncomfortable, just laugh at the time and the audience will too

ps, we had a gig on Saturday and half way through the second set I looked at the setlist and said are we right..yup....one two three four, Do you have the time to listen to me whine, and the rest of the band started 20th Century Boy......and I was wearing my glasses as well, haha, my bad again cos we were having fun and the audience was well up for it and by that stage a little merry it was really funny so we all cracked up
headless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:42 PM   #24
Hi Hat

Hi Hat Just getting started Hi Hat Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
WOW, Hi Hat, that's crazy talent !
Thanks.

I think practicing singing is the handiest thing for a guitar player. When I started practicing singing that's when I started getting invited to parties. Then I got the bass guitar and a country band wanted me. The business just grew. Now I'm studying drums. I'm playing this afternoon at the marina.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:58 PM   #25
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

I had entire songs just disappear from my head, while performing them. I've always had a really hard time with lyrics, Oh, I can sing just fine, remembering verses and verses in order is my issue.

Even songs I've known since childhood, sometimes I just don't remember all of them.

I think it's a normal thing while your brain is taxed with playing, singing, timing, and remembering words all at the same time. If it happens often, then that is an issue, but once in a while, it happens.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:39 PM   #26
cheezyridr
Banned

cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out

holy moly one night i not only screwed up the end of sack blabbath's heaven and hell, but the guitar/singer called everyones attention to it. we used to come out of the guitar solo and do a full stop, and then start the song again with the entry bass line, kick it into the chorus with the little bass lick, and then do the fool, fool part with all the fills and stuff and then end it. but i musta been somewhere else that night cause when we ended it, i waited the full stop and started the bass line again. the guitar player says into the mic "ONE MORE TIME FOR THE BASS PLAYER!!!" and we did another start/chorus ending, and i felt like a bag of smashed @$$holes with all the good ones removed.
cheezyridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #27
Highroller

Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

That happened to me once. Bar band, doing one of the zillion blues/rock numbers we covered and I dunno, I guess I was tired, not paying attention. My mind wandered. All of a sudden I noticed the audience was staring at me with a confused look on their faces and my brain snapped back in “oh f**k! I’m supposed to be doing a solo right now!”

Talk about embarrassing…

It was too late to just play the normal solo, so I started comping some Bo Diddley style chord riffs and hoped I was passing it off as a “rhythm interlude” of some kind. LoL! I don’t know if they bought it or not, but I was sure glad when that tune was over.

Chalk it up to "shit happens". The rest of the gig went fine.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:09 AM   #28
Gull14
milspec6

Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'm more audience than player so I can honestly say that it is no big deal at all....IF you stay cool. Let your personality come out and respond to it with some humor and move on.

I remember seeing Frank Sinatra on stage towards the end when he was forgetting the lyrics to songs he had been singing for 40 years or more. When his son (leading the band) tried to feed Frank the lines, Sinatra remained cool and played it off with a joke about "creative timing" and how kids worry too much.

The audience knew he was having medical issues, but an embarrassing moment became a humorous one and the place applauded. The world didn't end.
Gull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #29
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Interesting story about Sinatra...never heard that. You're right that the key is to be cool. Don't make a face or throw a diva-like hissy fit. The advice I was given was "smile" and don't draw attention to it. I've also been down the road of trying to pick up in the middle after messing up...better to do what Abo suggests and just wing it! Lessons learned .

I used to dread improvising solos on stage. After balling up some "note for note" ones, I realized improvised is easier in some ways...whatever you play won't be wrong, well as long as it is in key .

Most audiences also appreciate honest effort and a sense of humor.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote