Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 04-01-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
80's Rock
Wannabe Guitarist

80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow
Default College Admission Process Finally Over but Safety Concerns come up

Yesterday all final notices were in. Good and bad news, happy and not so happy moments, but at last the tension is over. Most of the schools applied for admitted him yet the ones he wanted most didn't. With Harvard becoming the last addition to the short list of denied acceptance, along with Johns Hopkins, Georgia Tech, Rice University, and Duke University, this chapter is almost closed and opens the next and final one...which one to choose; still waiting on Renssalaer who placed him in wait list.

Among those that granted admission several call his attention in the next order:

Purdue University- West Laffayette Campus
Penn State University- University Park Campus
Ohio State University- Columbus Campus
Marquette University
Drexel University
Saint Louis University
Colorado State University- Fort Collins Campus

Some have offered great scholarships like Marquette and Saint Louis, offering around $20K each (mostly because they are jesuit colleges and my son is graduating from a jesuit high school), the rest have not released their final packages yet. We have prepared financially for this day and have close to 90% of the total cost of college saved already, still, a nice saving in those funds would be very nice; but what we are mostly after is 1) Security, 2) Quality of Education. I know the top four rank among the best engineering schools in the country (at least for biomedical engineering) but I don't know how safe are each campus and surroundings. Anyone has experiences in any of these schools and/or neighborhoods around?
Old 04-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

You should be very proud that the ivy leagues considered him and he was taken by so many. Many kids nowadays don't even care what happens to them after highschool....
Old 04-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #3
phingerboard
Dung Foo Master

phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions

I can't speak for the other places but Columbus OH is a pretty shitty neighborhood.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #4
Rustee
carbon based biped

Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop

I too don't know much about the others, but just going off of city alone, I'd go for Ft. Collins. I have a cousin that lives there. It's also one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the country right now, which obviously could be both good and bad. But yeah it's just a nice place to be.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #5
SGMusic
Pokémon Master

SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies

I have a friend who goes to Penn State... I'll ask about the area
Old 04-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #6
Bellcose

Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

It may well be a matter of the best education at the least cost.

However, we all approach these issues differently. Going to school is required and the parent's responsibility to fund. Beyond that it is a question of choice, so I have never seen it as being a desire by my children turned into my obligation. Over here, once they have turned 18 they can vote, enter into contracts and I have no legal control, so essentially they are adults and can make their own decisions be they good or bad. Their life, not mine.

All the best with your decision.
...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."
Bellcose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:19 AM   #7
Gull14
milspec6

Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

It takes a good parent to raise an intelligent child, you have done your job very well. I funded my way through college on the military plan, so my options were far less lofty, but I have visited some of those schools.

Over the last 10 years, I don't think the schools matter as much as they have in the past. Employers are looking for more than just a name, they want to see a diverse and talented prospect and that can come from anywhere. The only time the name really matters is the choice in graduate school.

I would lean towards Marquette or Colorado State. They both have nice campuses and diverse towns that would allow some good cultural growth. Since Marquette comes with a cost savings, that would be my early choice.

That being said, like a guitar, if the school doesn't fit the student, his studies will suffer. I transferred 3 times before I found a comfortable school and my grades reflected every change. Some schools just didn't feel right or had professors that didn't inspire. He needs to visit them and speak with the faculty to make the right decision.
Gull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:54 AM   #8
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies

You must be very proud of your son...so many choices & I'm sure he has worked his tail off !!!

I am amazed as well, in this day & age that you were able to save up 90% of the cost of a college education, hats off to you, Dad !!!!
ALy
Old 04-02-2015, 01:11 AM   #9
Highroller

Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

"Colorado State University- Fort Collins Campus"

Hey - Legal Pot! LoL! That's gotta mean something, right?
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:45 AM   #10
Underdog
...just sayin...

Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed

SLU is in a sketchy neighborhood. The campus is safe but getting to it is rough. Right now, St. Louis city is a powder keg waiting to explode. There have been a higher than usual violent crimes in the last couple months (and this has squat to do with the Ferguson debacle) and experts say it is going to get a lot worse.

Forum co - admin
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote