Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 04-02-2015, 02:16 AM   #11
80's Rock
Wannabe Guitarist

80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gull14 View Post
It takes a good parent to raise an intelligent child, you have done your job very well. I funded my way through college on the military plan, so my options were far less lofty, but I have visited some of those schools.

Over the last 10 years, I don't think the schools matter as much as they have in the past. Employers are looking for more than just a name, they want to see a diverse and talented prospect and that can come from anywhere. The only time the name really matters is the choice in graduate school.

I would lean towards Marquette or Colorado State. They both have nice campuses and diverse towns that would allow some good cultural growth. Since Marquette comes with a cost savings, that would be my early choice.

That being said, like a guitar, if the school doesn't fit the student, his studies will suffer. I transferred 3 times before I found a comfortable school and my grades reflected every change. Some schools just didn't feel right or had professors that didn't inspire. He needs to visit them and speak with the faculty to make the right decision.
We visited Marquette during February. We enjoyed the city and the urban campus. It's a concept not seen here. I know he felt comfortable around it and there are even several kids from his school attending Marquette, some of them friends of his, so I'm sure he won't feel like "all solo" in Milwaukee. You mention the cultural aspect and I really believe that can be a deciding factor for him. He is into music, sings in a choir and plans to continue singing in the university choir. He loves art and enjoys a great meal- he has a very refined palate, and one of the things we enjoyed the most about Milwaukee was the food...it was incredible...and then there's the cheese. Actually the only reason he didn't apply to any school in Florida is because he hates the food, at least in Central Florida. He says everything there is under the Disney effect...it's all an illusion; that includes the food. He can't spend more than one week in Orlando because of the food. Anyhow I think you brought an excellent point we have not taken into consideration. I guess several points credited to Marquette for the cultural opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
You must be very proud of your son...so many choices & I'm sure he has worked his tail off !!!

I am amazed as well, in this day & age that you were able to save up 90% of the cost of a college education, hats off to you, Dad !!!!
ALy
Actually yes, I am extremely proud of my son. Those are the only colleges being considered, there are about4 or 5 more that admitted him but we simply scratched them from the list for several reasons, but mostly because he ended up deciding to major in Biomedical Engineering and some of the other colleges don't have the offering.

We have worked really hard and planned every single step of our son's education; it's the only matter in which my wife and I have never confronted any disagreement. He was not a planned child but everything after his conception has been. He's been to the best schools in Puerto Rico, summer programs like Johns Hopkins, and online advanced college courses. He has traveled the world and seen what I have not yet been able. Besides, we have not been alone in this, his grandmother has helped a lot in his college fund, and it is something we've been adding up for the last 15 years or so. We have managed to save a little over $180K just for this day so we don't need to rely in what ever money colleges are gonna throw...of course their money is very welcome and whatever we save now will be used for his post graduate if he plans to continue...like he won't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
SLU is in a sketchy neighborhood. The campus is safe but getting to it is rough. Right now, St. Louis city is a powder keg waiting to explode. There have been a higher than usual violent crimes in the last couple months (and this has squat to do with the Ferguson debacle) and experts say it is going to get a lot worse.

Forum co - admin
That worries me, even though he will be living in campus I want him to feel comfortable walking around the city or town, depending where he ends up. I remember when I went to college I picked up the one I did for two reasons, 1) it was at the moment the best art school in the US, and 2) it gave me the highest scholarship, half tuition. I had live on and off in NYC for several years. When my dad wanted to get rid of me he sent me to NY with my mom, and the other way around. The moment I arrived on campus I felt I couldn't go out or have a walk around the neighborhood. This was Clinton Hill, Brooklyn during the very early 90's. I heard it got better few years later but I never visited again. I don't wish for my son to experience college as I did, it should be fun instead of having to lock yourself in the dorm after 8 pm
Old 04-02-2015, 02:49 AM   #12
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Holy crap, you saved $180K in 15 years.....I need a new career path, will you adopt me? Please Uncle 80"s, please !
ALy
Old 04-02-2015, 03:06 AM   #13
80's Rock
Wannabe Guitarist

80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow

Not just us, my mother in law deposited her share into the college fund account constantly. Actually more than half of that money came from her. I think she deposited like $500 a month as minimum, sometimes she got to deposit up to $800, besides she widowed a quite wealthy doctor who owned a ER administration business. But it was something done religiously, every month for the last 15 years or so the three of us deposited the minimum each one imposed on himself. My part was $250 and my wife did like $200 or so. We also put some extra cash when we came with it instead of spending money on travels or other stuff. As soon as the kid finishes college and gets a steady job our time for leisure and travel begins
Old 04-02-2015, 03:20 AM   #14
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Sounds like you are very deserving of some travel & leisure, what a lucky kid to have such great & unselfish parents & grandma!!
ALy
Old 04-02-2015, 03:37 AM   #15
80's Rock
Wannabe Guitarist

He's been an excellent child deserving not less than that. He's never gotten into trouble, fights (except for one with me...some around here might remember that), no drugs, alcohol, tobacco, nor late night partying, all he's ever done is study and sing...now that I think about it, he's had a very freakin boring life
Old 04-02-2015, 05:04 AM   #16
jsr46

jsr46 Just getting started

St. Louis U. is not in a good part of town.
jsr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:10 AM   #17
Pooner

Pooner Just getting started

Whats your son planning on majoring in?
Pooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:12 AM   #18
80's Rock
Wannabe Guitarist

Biomedical Engineering- Mechanical Track
Old 04-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #19
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Wow, very cool! It's great that he has music in addition to his studies. In an intense program like engineering, it's important to have balance.

Sounds like he'll flourish no matter where he goes, especially since he knows what he wants. He's got one-up on many adults who still have no clue what they want .
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:48 PM   #20
joepa

joepa Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80's Rock View Post
Biomedical Engineering- Mechanical Track
Good for him, young engineers are in high demand. I'm a Penn State grad in mechanical engineering. State College is a great place despite some of the negative portrayal in the media the last few years. It's a very large campus, which may not be for everyone, but I always found it to be a positive attribute. There's something for everyone. It's also in the middle of rural PA, 2 hours plus from Pittsburgh or Philly, so undergrads stayed on campus most of the time. PM me if you have any specific questions.
joepa is offline   Reply With Quote