Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 04-02-2015, 04:21 PM   #21
Underdog
...just sayin...

Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
IMO, Hagar did better. I think EVH would be even more famous without DLR
I disagree. Guitarists would probably know him but the masses wouldn't. The attention of the masses isn't grabbed by guitarists. The frontman is the guy who does that. DLR was probably at the time the most flamboyant frontman of them all. There's no denying that. He grabbed the attention of the masses. The masses are the ones who shell out lots of cash on albums, concert tickets, etc.

I do agree that the Sammy years were musically the best. It's a shame Eddie is such an ass and drove Sammy and Michael away.

Forum co - admin
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #22
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

Could be that Eddie wanted Sammy to wear spandex and act like something he wasn't ... and Sammy refused.

I loved Montrose. Pure, simple rock!

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #23
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I disagree. Guitarists would probably know him but the masses wouldn't. The attention of the masses isn't grabbed by guitarists. The frontman is the guy who does that. DLR was probably at the time the most flamboyant frontman of them all. There's no denying that. He grabbed the attention of the masses. The masses are the ones who shell out lots of cash on albums, concert tickets, etc.

Forum co - admin

Beck, Gilmour, Clapton, Page ... there are some great guitarists that managed to get out from behind the frontfolk

--

Old 04-02-2015, 04:28 PM   #24
Underdog
...just sayin...

Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
Does anyone really know why there was so much fallout with the band? After they replace DLR with Haggar I always thought that Eddie and Sammy were best buds but then eventually he went back to DLR. Never ever heard a reason why? And on singing, could Eddie ever sing?? I know Anthony is a great tenor and Eddies son can not match him and there was a rumor that at some shows in 2013 they were using tapes of Anthony during the show. Just a rumor from Sammy. Damn soap opera!
Sammy jas said in the past that Eddie is difficult to deal with. As for Michael, Sammy was touring and asked Michael to come along. Since VH was not working at the time, Michael joined Sammy. Eddie shitcanned Michael because of this. That's what I read anyway.

Forum co - admin
Old 04-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #25
Underdog
...just sayin...

Quote:
Beck, Gilmour, Clapton, Page ... there are some great guitarists that managed to get out from behind the frontfolk
Look at the era they hail from.

Forum co - admin
Old 04-02-2015, 04:46 PM   #26
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Michael Anthony was in Chickenfoot with Sammy...and Satriani and Chad Smith! According to Wikipedia, the band hasn't disbanded...just on hiatus I guess.

The thing I remember most about Michael Anothony was his Jack Daniels bass which he'd pull out for his bass solo.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #27
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Could be that Eddie wanted Sammy to wear spandex and act like something he wasn't ... and Sammy refused.

I loved Montrose. Pure, simple rock!
Long live the Red Rocker!

I was always partial to the DLR era. My wife perfers the Van Hagar era. Once the introduced keyboards on 1984 and started doing ballads on OU812, I started to lose interest.

Panama kicks ass though .
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #28
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Look at the era they hail from.

Forum co - admin
I guess we'll never agree on this. IMO the exceptional talent of these individuals is what made them known. Same with EVH.

Considering we can't change history, I guess we'll never know how dependent EVH was on DLR for his own, personal success.

--

Old 04-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #29
rudos1
the Deuce

rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts

I saw them with Dave on the Mean Streets tour and with Sammy a couple times. They were infinitely better with Dave. Maybe he's not quite the performer now he was then but Dave's a lot closer to his old self than say Robert Plant or a lot of the other singers from that era...
Old 04-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #30
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudos1 View Post
I saw them with Dave on the Mean Streets tour and with Sammy a couple times. They were infinitely better with Dave. Maybe he's not quite the performer now he was then but Dave's a lot closer to his old self than say Robert Plant or a lot of the other singers from that era...
I liked them better with Dave also. Just didn't care much for Sammy.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote