Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 04-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #11
Jase

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Triple B....Bad Boy Bobby.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #12
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

I've tried Musescore... Honestly, I can't remember if I liked it. I bought notion because all of the free ones had such bad interfaces.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #13
Rustee
carbon based biped

Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop

A good point, but I don't doubt that there's better software out there, but free is a big pro. And if it's for occasional or casual use (such is the case for me), then MuseScore does nicely. If I was taking a formal composition course that required a high volume of work, I'd keep looking.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #14
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarryReems View Post
I've tried Musescore... Honestly, I can't remember if I liked it. I bought notion because all of the free ones had such bad interfaces.
I bought Notion because GP6 can be fiddly. Notion is quick and easy until you get to details. Trying scoring a blues without the ability to start a slide from a grace note ...

I had tried musescore prior to buying Notion, but there was no TAB support at the time. The new version does have TAB support.

I'm just going thru some detailed notation with ms as we type. Clumsy sometimes, but it all works ... so far ...

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:39 PM   #15
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Right away I'm not finding a chord library for quick entry ... but copy/paste works

--

Old 04-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #16
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
I bought Notion because GP6 can be fiddly.
I bought notion because I was pulling my hair out with clunky interfaces, and Presonus had it on sale for $15.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #17
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

For laying out chord progressions, Notion5 is nice and smooth.

musescore is fighting me a bit. A few in-depth walk-thrus might help

--

Old 04-02-2015, 10:29 PM   #18
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow

Thanks, I'll update and check the new version out! I started looking at it and then bought Logic Pro which I now use for most everything. Still use GuitarPro a lot as well but only for guitar stuff because it has the best chord tools are IMHO.

Notion is way better otherwise, I am on an older version and missed the $15 price , will not spend $150 to upgrade on my Mac. I use it on my iPad as well. Has the best samples for the price on the iPad by a big margin. Steep learning curve too, but everything so complex has that.

I am pretty much living in Logic Pro X for everything now, I usually pull it up when I start practicing. There's a steep learning curve for you.
iConnectAudio4+
BigDawgsByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:39 PM   #19
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public

Thanks Bob, i will try it. I have been using GP6 and at first I liked GP5 better but now im catching on to Version 6. Anyway, it's free so why not try it. Thanks for posting.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:43 AM   #20
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

It's definitely a different feel. I really like the symbol palettes once I figgered out ctrl-shift-click-drag lets you put anything into a palette for future use.

I do wish note values were more logical instead of left-right. It would be better to have 1=whole, 2=half, 4=quarter, 8=eighth, 6=sixteenth.

Oh well. A whole lot to try out!

--