Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 04-04-2015, 12:49 AM   #1
Borodog

Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow
Default My Grandfather's Guitar

So I've been through hell medically the past 3 months. To cheer me up, my wife and sister in law conspired to drag my brother into town. He brought a couple of basses and my grandfather's guitar. The girls went to a comedy club and my brother and I just jammed.

My grandfather's guitar is a 4 string Epiphone tenor guitar from 1935. She's in rough shape but she plays fine. No idea how these were tuned, but it has re-entrant strings so I presume uke style. I tuned it like 1-4 of a guitar in standard, but down 3 semi-tones because I didn't want to snap the strings. It was strange playing. The neck is thick and narrow; almost like playing a fretted broom handle.

It was emotional getting to play it. The second picture is my father, who passed away a little over two weeks ago, playing the very same guitar more than 60 years ago.

Last edited by Borodog; 04-04-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Borodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:59 AM   #2
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies

Borodog
I am sorry to hear that you lost your dad just 2 weeks ago. Your wife & sister-in-law are fantastic with their conspiring. That guitar is so cool !!!! What a precious family heirloom, and the picture of your dad playing is just awesome. Bittersweet.
Aly
Old 04-04-2015, 01:04 AM   #3
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

My condolences.

Would love to play that epi.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:16 AM   #4
80's Rock
Wannabe Guitarist

80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow

Sorry to hear about your father, many of us were wondering about you, I think we sort of missed you around. Nice guitar, definitely a keeper, much more with all that sentimental value. When you feel better and if it helps cheering you up we were looking for you to be part of a collab, but no rush, only when you feel like it
Old 04-04-2015, 01:20 AM   #5
Borodog

Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow

It's been a nightmare, but I think I've turned the corner. I will try to get that accoustic guitar recorder next week unless someone else has already done it.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:21 AM   #6
classicrock

classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma

Sorry for your loss Borodog, you look a lot like your dad. That photo looks like it could be a younger you.
classicrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:29 AM   #7
Gull14
milspec6

Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

We don't know each other, but as a guy who has been dead 6 times now, I can honestly say that as long as you keep fighting, you will get better. The trick is to realize everyone around you has something that they have to deal with daily. Maybe they have diabetes, high blood psi, migraines, allergies, kidney stones, etc....and you have your issues as well. We are all in the same boat, never let it bring you down.

As for your loss, sorry man. Losing a Father is hard to deal with, mine has been mentality gone due to ALZ for the last 3 years and it is a very hard thing. The cool thing is that you not only have a great picture to remember, but the very same guitar.....super cool.

Hang in there and realize that you are not alone and always keep fighting.
Gull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:42 AM   #8
Borodog

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Last edited by Borodog; 04-04-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:50 AM   #9
Chito
It's all about the music.

Chito The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Chito The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope you feel better. That guitar looks like it has a lot of 'mojo'.
Chito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:41 AM   #10
MuskRatt
Feeling Compunctious

MuskRatt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking MuskRatt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking MuskRatt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Sorry for your Loss.
Laney IRT60H IronHeart
Peavey Original 412MS G12K-85's 1989 mfg.
Roland Cube 20X
MuskRatt is offline   Reply With Quote