Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 04-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
Stephenb97

Stephenb97 Just getting started
Default advice to get over depression

This may not be the best place to ask, but I like to get advice from people I can relate to. And I can relate to musicians. So anyone have any advice on getting over depression? (My parents won't let me get antidepressants and my dad is very verbally abusive )
Stephenb97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
spacedog
mere mortal

spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls

Jumping right to antidepressants is a bad idea anyway, in my opinion. They might make you feel better, but they're more of a Band-Aid solution. And besides, they might make you feel worse--everyone's brain chemicals are different, and one man's happy pill is another man's spiral-out-of-control tablet. Finding the right medication can take years, and there can be a lot of nasty shit on the road there.

Look around to see if there are any therapy/counselling options available to you. It sounds like you're still living at home...does your school offer anything? If not, a lot of cities have programs available through universities to help train psychology students that are cheap or even free.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #3
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthman View Post
Jumping right to antidepressants is a bad idea anyway, in my opinion. They might make you feel better, but they're more of a Band-Aid solution. And besides, they might make you feel worse--everyone's brain chemicals are different, and one man's happy pill is another man's spiral-out-of-control tablet. Finding the right medication can take years, and there can be a lot of nasty shit on the road there.

Look around to see if there are any therapy/counselling options available to you. It sounds like you're still living at home...does your school offer anything? If not, a lot of cities have programs available through universities to help train psychology students that are cheap or even free.
I have to respectfully disagree. Anti depressants are not happy pills and they take weeks to work. You can feel so bad that you believe that it will never lift and one day it's gone. I'm not saying therapy is bad but therapy alone is a long road. A combination of the two is best. I've never had therapy but I speak from experience with anti-depressants. In this case getting out of your current situation may be all you need.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:36 PM   #4
80's Rock
Wannabe Guitarist

80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow

Hi!

If your parents don't consent treatment you may have alternate routes to deal with your problem. First step would be to check where exactly the state of Utah stands in minor consent to medical treatment, including mental health treatment. Over the last 30 years, states have passed laws explicitly authorizing minors to consent to health care related to sexual activity, substance abuse and mental health care.

You can check with a psychologist (which have a different confidentiality ethic code than psychiatrist and is more strict and patient centered) if you can consent treatment (without your parent's consent). However in Utah and Wyoming, in the case of psychiatric and pharmacological treatment, teenager minors can't consent, but sometimes psychotherapy can be as effective or even more effective than anti-depressants. Also evidence-based psychotherapy effective outcomes has proven to last for longer periods of time and less relapses.

You can also speak with your school counselor, social worker or school psychologist. If there's a school psychologist in your school it may be the best option since they are allowed to treat students without parental consent within the school scenario, specially if your academic and/or interpersonal spheres are being affected.

Sometimes just being listened can be part of an effective therapy but this has to be done in person, not online. Also practice stimulant activities that may help the segregation of endorphins like playing music.

NOTE: This is my wife's advise who's a Counseling Psychologist
Old 04-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops

I've dealt with depression (anxiety attacks) for most of my adult life, and I've never used an anti-depressant. I changed my diet and atmosphere as well as my outlook and attitude on the things that can trigger it. Medically speaking, no one here is legally qualified to give any advice.

I don't know you nor your situation at home, but if the claims of your father being abusive in any way, be it verbally, physically or sexually, should be either reported to the police, or your school guidance counselor.

Verbal abuse from a "parent" or anyone should never happen, and if you are depressed because if this, this might be where the cause is from.

There are so many variables when it comes to depression that none of here can diagnose.

Thank you Mr. and Mrs. 80's
Old 04-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
spacedog
mere mortal

spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. Anti depressants are not happy pills and they take weeks to work. You can feel so bad that you believe that it will never lift and one day it's gone. I'm not saying therapy is bad but therapy alone is a long road. A combination of the two is best. I've never had therapy but I speak from experience with anti-depressants. In this case getting out of your current situation may be all you need.
That's not really what I was trying to say—I just meant that, like you said, pills take a long time to start doing their job, and in addition to that, not every type of anti-depressant out there is going to work for every depressed person. I think just about everyone I know who is or was taking some kind of anti-depressant started out on something that either just didn't do anything for them, or straight up made them feel worse than they did to begin with. The way doctors prescribe this stuff is pretty much a trial and error thing.

And again, just popping some pills is not a great idea, even if you've found the right stuff for you. Therapy can be very helpful in helping you change your patterns of thinking, and having your negative thought patterns pointed out to you, because sometimes they can be hard to spot by yourself. But besides that, there are a lot of simple things you can change about your lifestyle that have been shown to generally alleviate depression—eating better food, getting more physical exercise, spending time outdoors, caring for an animal, etc.

I'm not saying don't take medication, if that's what your doctor thinks is best, but I wouldn't jump to that right off the hop, and certainly don't do just that and nothing else.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #7
Stephenb97

Stephenb97 Just getting started

Thanks guys I didn't know verbal abuse could be reported to the police I think it started when my brother commit suicide when I was 10. I know my school doesn't offer anything cuz I'm homeschooled. But I do try to put my feelings into my guitar.
Stephenb97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #8
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenb97 View Post
Thanks guys I didn't know verbal abuse could be reported to the police I think it started when my brother commit suicide when I was 10. I know my school doesn't offer anything cuz I'm homeschooled. But I do try to put my feelings into my guitar.
Verbal abuse is just as harmful as any other abuse, if not more. A parents influence growing up can dictate the cycle if the child permits.

Define the abuse. Being told "no" to some kids, they would consider that abuse.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #9
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Quote:
Stephen, how old are you? I am very sorry for the loss of your brother. It sounds like you may be quite isolated. Do you have a close relative you can trust or turn to for hlep? I am very concerned about what you have posted on this forum.
Aly
Old 04-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #10
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public

Quote:
That's tough. Is there someone that you can talk to? No matter what try to keep in mind that you wont be stuck in the situation you are in now forever. Eventually it will get better for you. It would be really helpful if you had someone that you can talk too.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote