Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 04-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #11
Stephenb97

Stephenb97 Just getting started

I'm 17. And abuse is usually just being told how useless and stupid I am so I guess its not that bad. I have a friend I talk to. But that's it. My siblings side with my parents.I could talk to my brother if he was still here.
Stephenb97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #12
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenb97 View Post
I'm 17. And abuse is usually just being told how useless and stupid I am so I guess its not that bad. I have a friend I talk to. But that's it. My siblings side with my parents.I could talk to my brother if he was still here.
Because your brother took his own life, I would think your parents would be very sensitive to your mental health needs & be supportive. I am not a parent so I shouldn't judge. I wish you the best Stephen & hope you find a solution to your problem.
ALy
Old 04-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #13
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthman View Post
That's not really what I was trying to say—I just meant that, like you said, pills take a long time to start doing their job, and in addition to that, not every type of anti-depressant out there is going to work for every depressed person. I think just about everyone I know who is or was taking some kind of anti-depressant started out on something that either just didn't do anything for them, or straight up made them feel worse than they did to begin with. The way doctors prescribe this stuff is pretty much a trial and error thing.

And again, just popping some pills is not a great idea, even if you've found the right stuff for you. Therapy can be very helpful in helping you change your patterns of thinking, and having your negative thought patterns pointed out to you, because sometimes they can be hard to spot by yourself. But besides that, there are a lot of simple things you can change about your lifestyle that have been shown to generally alleviate depression—eating better food, getting more physical exercise, spending time outdoors, caring for an animal, etc. I'm not saying don't take medication, if that's what your doctor thinks is best, but I wouldn't jump to that right off the hop, and certainly don't do just that and nothing else.

I agree with most and the rest is just the rest Before anyone takes any medication for depression they need to be evaluated. It's not uncommon for any of us to feel blue or down or just not want to do anything for a few days but if it lasts for a few weeks, then you may be really clinically depressed. From my experience only, if you are actually clinically depressed and I mean for a number of weeks then diet, exercise or therapy will be a long road, not that they can't help you. Taking a pill that I never really even felt that i was taking for 6 weeks and the fog was gone and I have never looked back. But that was me. Anyway, in the case of the OP I think talking to someone will help beause of the past and current situation. He needs to know that he is not alone in this world. I hope he can find someone.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #14
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Quote:
Well you are not stupid or useless. You are a teenager and that can bring on it's own set of problems along with the history that you live with. Try to keep positive and look towards your future.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #15
Stephenb97

I just feel like I'm so alone. I have two friends I really talk to one of them is going through really hard times so I try not to throw my problems on her, and then the other had a similar situation with his parents but I might not be seeing him very much anymore because he's on probation for 2-3 years.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:15 PM   #16
Austin R
Hip to be square

Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Hey man, I'm around your age (18). I can't say I've dealt with what you're dealing with but if you'd like someone your age to talk to feel free to PM me or something.

Carvin DC127, PRS McCarty Soapbar, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender Mexican Stratocaster, Epiphone Les Paul Trad. Pro,
Austin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #17
Stephenb97

Thanks man
Old 04-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #18
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

With a family history of suicide, you should seek professional help or some sort of support group. A support group could just be a bunch of people that share a common interest. There is likely a hotline number you could even call if it's really bad. I am sure you are not the only kid in this situation.

Antidepressents have their place, but should always be used in conjunction with therapy.

Depression is a bitch in plain English. Being a teenager isn't always a walk in the park either. Like others here, I have dealt with it in the past and have learned skills to keep it at bay. It can be reassuring just knowing that there are others that suffer as you do...and have found a way to cope and not be miserable.

I'm sorry about your brother. I couldn't even imagine what that must have been like for you and your family.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:43 PM   #19
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Deathroman another member here is down with it, and might chime in here. Its a common and misunderstood thing, and sorry your going through it. Lots of reading here, and will reply tomorrow.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:55 PM   #20
80's Rock
Wannabe Guitarist

80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Thanks guys I didn't know verbal abuse could be reported to the police I think it started when my brother commit suicide when I was 10. I know my school doesn't offer anything cuz I'm homeschooled. But I do try to put my feelings into my guitar.
I'm assuming that not even after this event your parents took you to a therapist, Psychologist or Psychiatrist. It is a serious situation which must have caused an immediate PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), which if not treated in time can, and most probably did, evolve into a Major Severe Depression combined with numerous other disorders and complications.

Quote:
What you describe here works directly into a person's self-esteem, and it's showing when you try to minimize it by saying that you guess it's not that bad. It is very bad indeed. To children parents are a role model, a figure to follow, and if your parental figure diminishes your self-esteem that way it will create a solid image of what he has done. Dunno if you understand me but this is nothing to minimize