Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Introduce Yourself

Old 04-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #1
peneumbra

peneumbra Just getting started
Cool How Do You Start This Thing, Anyway?

After about a hundred years working as a roadie, road manager, and concert promoter, I've decided to become:

A Guitar Player.

I have handled, strung, and even tuned a wide variety of guitars, many of them very unusual and expensive. But during all those decades, I never actually PLAYED a guitar - it somehow never crossed my mind. Go figure.

So now, late in life, I'm going to learn how to play. I've acquired a pretty nifty ax - an almost-new Gretsch hollow-body electric with humbuckers, Bigsby vibe tailpiece, etc, with a cool black finish. (Brian Setzer, look out!) Nice little Fender amp.

So I'm looking forward to learning how this whole thing works. The first thing is, I've got to figure out how to hook up the propane bottle...
peneumbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
Fayzer

Fayzer Just getting started

hi nice to meet you.

good luck with your learning

Peace Out
Fayzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Welcome to the forum Never too late to start. Ditch the Propane, just play fast for heat
Old 04-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
Hi Hat

Hi Hat Just getting started Hi Hat Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
The first thing is, I've got to figure out how to hook up the propane bottle...
I think with that model of guitar you put coins in the slot and it starts playing polkas.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Welcome and good luck!

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
Underdog
...just sayin...

Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed

That ain't a Bigsby, that's the hand crank for the starter. That's what those old 2 stroke Gretsch guitars had back in the day. Give it 4 cranks and hit an A power chord. That's how you get that sucker to rock.

Welcome to the zoo!

Forum co - admin
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

You'll be fine. I suspect your many years involved in live music has given you ample skills in the groping-hott-drunken-groupies area, which is, of course MUCH more important than playing ability.

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
lespaulie
aka crunk

lespaulie Just getting started

Hello and Welcome..
Old 04-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #9
80's Rock
Wannabe Guitarist

80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow 80's Rock Confuses Ass and Elbow

You sort of started backwards. Usually you learn to play guitar, play in a few bands and if you're not lucky enough you become a roadie...and so on and on. That's how I did it except I stopped after the roadie stage

Welcome aboard, never to late to learn something new
Old 04-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #10
peneumbra

peneumbra Just getting started

When I started in the "entertainment industry," I was so unaware that I thought a power chord was a pair of pants.

My first road gig was in 1973, on a Leon Russell tour. I haven't been the same since.
peneumbra is offline   Reply With Quote