Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 04-08-2015, 02:20 AM   #1
guitarnovice11

guitarnovice11 Just getting started
Default Stuck On How to Improve

I've been playing guitar for half a year now and at this point I've learned most of the chords, bar chords, strumming patterns, etc. Now I'm stuck on what to do next. I'm interested in playing fingerstyle guitar like Gareth Evans and Sungha Jung but I need a pointer in the right direction as to what to do next. Thanks!
guitarnovice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
Fayzer

Fayzer Just getting started

get a book to learn the finger picking patterns then for Sungha Jung stuff you will need to learn some theory.

Peace Out
Fayzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #3
jerrycasemusic
The Stray Dog

jerrycasemusic Just getting started jerrycasemusic Just getting started

Honestly the best thing you can do is learn as many songs as possible. With each song comes its own techniques. Repertoire is the key to steady progress. Often getting together with another player or forming a band is a great driver of this.

I can honestly say over all the years I know of very very few truly excellent players who didn't get into their own bands. I think it is the missing link in most bedroom guitar players studies. It is fun as hell too! Music was meant to be shared - both by players and listeners. Get out there.
jerrycasemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #4
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

The best thing I think is to follow the advice given already. Make use of the skills you have learned and worked hard to gain to make some music! Through that you'll discover what you should work on next.

Finding people to play with can be difficult. If that isn't an option for you, a great substitute is to record yourself. Recording yourself and putting it out there is not as different as getting up in front of an audience as you might think . Hit the record button to record a song you know cold, and witness how suddenly you find you can't play for beans!! .
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #5
Stealth

Stealth Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnovice11 View Post
I've been playing guitar for half a year now and at this point I've learned most of the chords, bar chords, strumming patterns, etc. Now I'm stuck on what to do next. I'm interested in playing fingerstyle guitar like Gareth Evans and Sungha Jung but I need a pointer in the right direction as to what to do next. Thanks!
There is bunch of guy giving free and not free lessons on youtube or other sites i believe they can help you
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #6
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

First put the pick down, and start getting those fingers moving . With the sound in your head move your fingers to the rythem of it. Your fingers will be out of sync to begin the with, but out of doggyness and pure concentration you will get there haha.

I tried playing the strict finger per string style, but fell into the claw like knopfler. I think k its the most naturel way if you don't force yourself to play like someone else...let your fingers move the way they are inclined.

Watch how Evans and Jung attack the strings, and bluff your way into it. Keep going and things will happen just out of necessity..
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
The Badger

The Badger Just getting started

I second learning songs too. Since learning a load by ear I found my playing has gone up quite a bit.

It will also point out the techniques and areas you are weak on so you can start working on them.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:25 PM   #8
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

I personally wouldn't be learning songs at this stage seeing the technique of fingerstyle can be challenge enough.

If I was looking it as a lesson I would mute the strings with my left, and finger pick something that has a repetitiveness with it. Start simple, and build up to varying how the fingers move through the strings.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:12 AM   #9
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

^^^^^ I would go with learning a fingerstyle song, not doing it as an academic exercise. I learned to (alternating bass) fingerpick by getting "Freight Train" down, then I used the technique acquired to move onto other songs.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:43 PM   #10
PEAVEYUSA
PEAVEYUSA

PEAVEYUSA Just getting started PEAVEYUSA Just getting started

Um learn scales