Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 04-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Greg Davies

Greg Davies Just getting started
Default Help! Wrist pain from hell.

Hi guys,

Recently I've played lots of guitar. It's resulted in my wrist been quite painfully. Trouble is I can't really rest it.... I teach guitar & play in three bands. Any tips to ease the pain or heal it quickly?!
Greg Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #2
Z. Wolf
Central Scrutinizer

Z. Wolf Compulsively Maturbates Z. Wolf Compulsively Maturbates Z. Wolf Compulsively Maturbates Z. Wolf Compulsively Maturbates Z. Wolf Compulsively Maturbates Z. Wolf Compulsively Maturbates Z. Wolf Compulsively Maturbates

Have you tried a support bandage, massage or motrin regimen? I get wrist pain from my job as a carpenter and have tried to isolate the movements that cause the pain in the first place and then I try to use a different technique to get the same job done..this can be done with guitar also. How low do you have your guitar hung on the strap? If too low, this could possibly be a problem and a starting point in your investigation.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

As with zombie, I too am a woodworker doing repetitive movements that eventually caught up with me and caused a stint with CTS. I had to buy a brace for my wrist that I wear at night, but rest and immobilization is the sure fire way to help the healing process. Are you having any numbness, weakness or tingling in you thumb, index and middle fingers?. If so, then that's CTS and it has to be taken care of, or you risk not being able to play at all for months.

I use Motrin and Rub A5-35 as well as a cold pack and brace.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #4
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Rest & Anti-inflammatory meds. It's the repetitive motion that causes this, without rest you will not mend & could cause further issues like CTS or even nerve damage.....eek !!! Seen a lot of this in my field as a occupational health nurse at General Motors
ALy
Old 04-11-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
cheezyridr
Banned

cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out

ignore all the above advice. go to a good accupuncturist who does deep tissue massage. it's the reason i'm not crippled right now. i swear i thought it was all hokus-pokus. my wife insisted on me trying it out, so i did just to shut her up. i sure am glad i did
cheezyridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:45 PM   #6
Austin R
Hip to be square

Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Carvin DC127, PRS McCarty Soapbar, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender Mexican Stratocaster, Epiphone Les Paul Trad. Pro,
Austin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Stop moving your wrist around like that.

Sleep with a compression bandage around your wrist.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote