Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Bass

Old 10-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
mairj40

mairj40 Just getting started
Default Bass wiring

Hey guys,

I have a Samick Custom bass that I got for free. I think someone tried to rewire it at some point. I am looking for a wiring diagram for it, but I'm not finding anything. It has four knobs and two pickups.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #2
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Just find a wiring diagram for a ES335 or Les Paul and wire it to match. It's pretty obvious that it's two volumes and two tones. If the potentiometers are still there, you don't even have to guess at what values to use. Just shield all the cavities and ground the tail piece to one of the potentiometers. Use a STAR ground system by running all ground wires to one place. Most folks use the volume control can because it's midway between the pickup's, tail piece, other electronics, and output Jack. Have fun.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Yes, just use a 4-knob Gibson layout.

One mod I find very useful is "J-bass"wiring, in which the middle switch position allows any blend of neck and middle pickups. This is done by running the pickup hot to the middle lug of the volume pot rather than to the hot lug. The hot lug of the volume pot goes to the switch.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote