Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Recording & Software

Old 11-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
LesPool

LesPool Just getting started
Wink Cheap Mic?

I'm not a singer and have no idea what I'm doing. That said, I'm going to lay down some vocal tracks using Logic Pro X.

Any suggestions on a reasonable microphone that will connect to my Scarlett focusrite through the mic input that won't break the bank?

I figured I'd ask for some advice rather than just buy one so I can learn from anyones mistakes in this area.

Mic suggestion? I would think price is more important than quality at this point. As long as my voice can be recorded at some sort of reasonable level I think I can further process and be just fine.

Thanks!!
LesPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
Big John

Big John Just getting started Big John Just getting started

Shure SM58. Or if you have a gravelly baritone voice like me, you can't beat a Sennheiser e845! These are both relatively cheap...e.g. a hundred bucks.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Get a dynamic cardioid pattern microphone, low impedance with XLR cable. I have been using a Nady Starpower Microphone for about 5 years at gigs. The Nady Starpower microphone cost about USA $ 13. I like it and might buy another. The on off switch on the handle is handy, not all microphones come with a switch.

Also get an inexpensive microphone stand.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Cheaper clone of the Shure SM58 for voice on Amazon for less than $14: The Pyle PDMIC58

and the clone of the Shure SM57 for instruments also on Amazon for less than $13: The Pyle PDMIC78
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

How cheap? Live or studio?

I agree with the cheap dynamics for live use, but if you can afford $100 consider an AT2020 or similar condenser

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:16 AM   #6
LesPool

LesPool Just getting started

Wow I wasn’t expecting suggestions so cheap. I’ll check out each of the suggestions.

Thanks so much.
LesPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:07 AM   #7
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Ha! These guys haven't come close to cheap yet. You want cheap and still get a decent sound? I've used one of those $5 long skinny electret condenser computer mikes and the quality is surprisingly good. I wouldn't try to plug one into a 1/4" guitar jack because its a mini plug and its stereo. It will plug straight into any computer's mike jack though. Beyond that, any decent dynamic stage mike will give you good recording results.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #8
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
Ha! These guys haven't come close to cheap yet. You want cheap and still get a decent sound? I've used one of those $5 long skinny electret condenser computer mikes and the quality is surprisingly good. I wouldn't try to plug one into a 1/4" guitar jack because its a mini plug and its stereo. It will plug straight into any computer's mike jack though.
Yes I agree. Those condenser computer microphones have a very good sound. Much better high frequency response than dynamic microphones. They work well for recording but I wouldn't use them for gigs.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:04 PM   #9
Hurricane Ramon

Hurricane Ramon Just getting started
Cool Mic's

Hello Les :

A Shure SM57/58 always works and can be had for under $100.00 used on
ebay a new one ( either ) $100.00 approx .

Since you mentioned cheap:

Shure /Unisphere PE585 work really good on vocal they are a hihz mic with
characteristics of a SM58 and on ebay they are listed at any where from $9.00 .
I have several they are good mics .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shure-Unisp...0AAOSwxzdaA6kV

EZ :

HR
It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:45 PM   #10
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
Yes I agree. Those condenser computer microphones have a very good sound. Much better high frequency response than dynamic microphones. They work well for recording but I wouldn't use them for gigs.
Actually, if you think about it. Those boom mikes that singers use on stage are nothing more than a small element electret condenser that is pretty much the same as the computer mike.