Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Recording & Software

Old 01-16-2018, 04:38 AM   #1
George25

George25 Just getting started
Default Presonus studio one 3 I/O question

Hey guys, a question for any one thats using studio one (DAW). when you go to the input settings and add mono for the guitar, does stereo needs to be added to? is the stereo added for the interface and mono for the track? if i remove stereo i lose a bit of volume/tone. i also see some people with it and without it on youtube.
George25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:33 AM   #2
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I leave every track in stereo mode because when I don't, I can't pan left and right on playback and mixdown for that track. I use Cakewalk(SONOR 5). I assume most recording programs are similar. I've done a bit of recording and put a track in MONO and the waveform looks different. Experience has dictated that my best results are leaving the track in Stereo mode. I hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

Choose a single channel for the input to match where you're plugged in.

If you're using any stereo FX, choose stereo for the track. SO might change the input when you go from mono to stereo, but you can change to the correct input once stereo is selected.

If you use no FX, or only mono FX, there is no problem choosing mono for the track. PAN works fine with mono tracks. OTOH, there is no real downside to always choosing stereo other than the waveform display. You may see impacts in really high track count projects, but if your projects aren't that big, don't sweat it.

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
George25

those are good advices. ok i think i solved it. on the I/O settings you have to select stereo for the physical left and right inputs of your audio interface. and for the track,u can select mono or stereo.

I really thought that setting was for the track, but its for the audio interface. anyone that just leaves the I/O in mono. add the stereo with it for inputs of the interface. it gives like a little boost.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:05 PM   #5
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by George25 View Post
those are good advices. ok i think i solved it. on the I/O settings you have to select stereo for the physical left and right inputs of your audio interface. and for the track,u can select mono or stereo.

I really thought that setting was for the track, but its for the audio interface. anyone that just leaves the I/O in mono. add the stereo with it for inputs of the interface. it gives like a little boost.
If you're only recording on a single channel, don't use stereo. Only use stereo if you're recording in stereo, otherwise, set the channel to mono L or mono R.

I have been using Studio One for several years.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:46 PM   #6
George25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarryReems View Post
If you're only recording on a single channel, don't use stereo. Only use stereo if you're recording in stereo, otherwise, set the channel to mono L or mono R.

I have been using Studio One for several years.
like this? when i play in mono the stereo single bar/meter moves at the same time. if i remove it i lose i little bit of volume and tone.
Attached Images
File Type: png Sin título.png (82.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #7
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by George25 View Post
like this? when i play in mono the stereo single bar/meter moves at the same time. if i remove it i lose i little bit of volume and tone.
Ok, so what you've done there is correct. An L/R stereo channel will always exist, even if you're not using it. but in your active track you have Guitar (R) channel selected. If, for instance, you had a pair of SDC's in X/Y stereo connected to L and R, you'd select the L/R stereo input instead of one of the singles.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #8
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

There is a glyph on the track panel that switches the track, not it's input, to stereo/mono. I can't get a picture ATM ..

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:59 PM   #9
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

With all these comments, this is a bit clearer. Yep. I go into my computer with left and right INPUTS so I can utilize left and right. Then when I bring up my recording studio program, I get to do whatever I want with the signal to each track because I have both sides to play with.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:53 AM   #10
George25

ok thanks for the comments guys! makes sense now.