Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 01-16-2018, 05:58 PM   #1
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started
Default Has anyone used ActiveMelody.com?

Has anyone used or joined Active Melody (activemelody.com)? The site has a lot of free lessons available and also a paid membership section. Each lesson has a part 1 which is free, and a part 2 that you can access if you're a paid member. A few other things come with the paid membership as well, backing tracks, tab sheets, etc. I've been looking at the free stuff, and it's pretty good. Has anyone here paid to join? How much more do you get for the money?
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #2
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg0 View Post
Has anyone used or joined Active Melody (activemelody.com)? The site has a lot of free lessons available and also a paid membership section. Each lesson has a part 1 which is free, and a part 2 that you can access if you're a paid member. A few other things come with the paid membership as well, backing tracks, tab sheets, etc. I've been looking at the free stuff, and it's pretty good. Has anyone here paid to join? How much more do you get for the money?
I joined for a month. The lessons are very much like the free ones just more and more detail. I canceled but not because I was disappointed. I really like his lessons and his approach but I choose to focus on other styles for now.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:29 PM   #3
pdawg0

Thanks for the feedback DanRode. I may try a month and see how it goes. I really like his "no accompaniment" blues stuff. I love playing like that.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

I use activemelody and I actually like it. He don't teach much very beginner stuff but more so style than anything else. I paid for a year for the better bargain. I love the fact that nine times out of ten he plays it first. I also use guitarzoom. He is a fantastic instructor.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:11 PM   #5
pdawg0

Agree on not much beginner stuff. I'm not a beginner, so that's fine. But I feel a lot of my playing is repetitious and boring. I like how he teaches little riffs and progression you can use or build on. Today I'm working on EP235. Love that type of stuff!!
Old 01-17-2018, 10:41 PM   #6
BeachBill
Wannabe Guitar Picker

BeachBill Just getting started

In am annual subscriber now into my second year. I don't care for everything Brian presents (not my area of interest) but there is a lot I DO like. I especially like the blues routines that can be performed without accompaniment or a backing track. I have (so far) adapted two of those to my own style - and use them when I'm asked to "play something" when someone finds out i play guitar. LOL

His teaching style goes beyond just showing how to do something. He explains what is happening and why it works - so I can apply the techniques to other keys and/or situations.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:36 AM   #7
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

Not every lesson he gives is all that interesting to me but BeachBill is right about the blues he teaches. I enjoy watching his videos and will pay every year..