Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 01-17-2018, 09:20 PM   #1
DreamatTempo119

DreamatTempo119 Just getting started
Default Reggae Foot Tap

Hi all,

I've been having trouble with concept of foot tapping while playing reggae guitar. While playing other styles with accents on the beat I have found it easy (relatively) to tap my foot on the beat (I.e. 1 2 3 4). I find this very awkward while playing reggae with the accents on the off beat. I start out tapping on the beat and somewhere along the way naturally start tapping on the and (I.e + + + +).

What should I be doing? Start over really slowly and learn to foot tap on the beat or just go with what feels natural?
DreamatTempo119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:30 PM   #2
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Reggae (and some other rhythms) typically drops the front and back beat on the 3. Start with learning to anchor/feel on the 3.

One...Two...BOOM...Four
One...Two...BOOM...Four
One...Two...BOOM...Four

Get the 2-&....

One...Two-&...BOOM...Four
One...Chick-ahh...BOOM...Four

Add the four

One...Chick-ahh...BOOM...Chick

Mute the one in your head

... ...Chick-ahh...BOOM...Chick

Last edited by KamaK; 01-17-2018 at 09:40 PM.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:14 AM   #3
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

HTH:

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:54 AM   #4
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Say What???? I never found strumming on the upbeat to be much of a problem. I just strum UP on the upbeat. Some teachers encourage patting your foot and others discourage it. I'm a foot patter but sometimes I'll notice that I'm playing without doing it. When I'm not patting my foot, I usually notice that I'm rocking back and forth or bobbing up and down. Now this is going to be funny as hell. I've got a very good friend who is a killer guitarist and he marches in place. When he does it, it cracks me up because he looks like baby walking down the hall while carrying a full load in his diaper.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:01 AM   #5
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
Say What???? I never found strumming on the upbeat to be much of a problem. I just strum UP on the upbeat.
Are you suggesting that, if it's easy for you, it should be easy for everyone? What about strumming DOWN, on the upbeat?

Old 01-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #6
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Are you suggesting that, if it's easy for you, it should be easy for everyone? What about strumming DOWN, on the upbeat?
Strumming down on the upbeat would feel unnatural to me even though I can and sometimes do it. After learning all the correct techniques, the instructor always says to use the correct technique until it doesn't work for you and then do whatever you have to do to get the desired result.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
Strumming down on the upbeat would feel unnatural to me even though I can and sometimes do it. After learning all the correct techniques, the instructor always says to use the correct technique until it doesn't work for you and then do whatever you have to do to get the desired result.
Sorry, didn't mean to come off so strong, if it seemed that way.

I often find, when someone does "whatever you have to do to get the desired result," is when it can often end up sounding pretty bad.

Take Nile Rogers's Good Times (or is it Chic? Or, am I thinking of the same song?). Without moving your barre finger, you go from a min 7 , to maj, to sus 4 chords, all while having the left hand doing all the hold/release to get that syncopation. I find this rhythm more difficult than raggae, while understanding that raggae isn't necessarily natural to anyone who's used to straight 4/4.

I just think of the raggae rhythm as accenting on the "off" beats. I have no idea how a drummer deals with those rhythms in their heads.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #8
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
I have no idea how a drummer deals with those rhythms in their heads.
Drummers can just play a half time shuffle on the hat, kick on the three. Snare on 3 and occasionally comp (&-of-the-4 or the one for example). The individual pieces are straightforward, putting it all together is a challenge if you don't have musical roots based on the 3 (Afro, mideast, west indo etc). It's like the concept of clave... either you're born into it culturally, or you have to battle your intuition for a couple months breaking preconceptions and learning it.

Stewart Coppeland explains it... https://youtu.be/q45sg06K4yI?t=136

On guitar, I learned to downstroke my chucks. You then have the option of shaping the stroke into a arpeggiated-rake, be setup for an upstroke on the &, and have your hand nicely on top of the controls for moduation (tone-knob-wah-wah, volume knob tremolo)

Last edited by KamaK; 01-18-2018 at 05:32 PM.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:24 PM   #9
JaxJaxon

JaxJaxon Just getting started

Ahh From Keeping time with your foot to doing what ever to get the results. Well to the first you either have a gift for time or you can develop it.to the second getting the results try Frank Zappa he got results some Great some Bad. I Can Make a Bad Guitar sound Good,A Good Guitar sound Great And A Great guitar sound like heaven.
JaxJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote