Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 02-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started
Default Classical guitar finger style plugged in

I have a nylon string guitar with piezo pickups. I haven't used it much. I was trying some fingerstyle picking for "Air on the G String".

I'm not sure what my question is but it may be related to muting or how to hit the string to keeping them from not sounding quite right or maybe even an amp adjustment thing.

The issue is when I'm picking the treble strings and picking a bass string at the same time. The bass string tone overwhelms the treble string. It also keeps ringing as I move on to the next note. The treble string stops but the bass continues.

Basically, mostly what you notice is just the bass string ringing on and on.

Is this mainly a finger picking technique problem, a muting problem, a guitar adjustment problem or what? I'm not really a classical player or a finger style player either so I'm not implying that I know what I'm doing and that it must be a guitar adjustment problem. I'm pretty sure it's not.

I'm trying to pick the bass string side to side more than just plucking it, since plucking could make this issue worse.

Is muting a major part of finger style with nylon strings?

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Seattle; 02-04-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:17 PM   #2
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Could be a number of things. In a lot of folk and ragtime, you'll often have alternating bass strings, that are meant to ring. If you don't want any string to ring, you'll have to learn muting techniques, with both hands.

You may be able to eq out some bassiness, if plugged in. Acoustically, you can go lower in gauge on the bass side.

You could also be thumb heavy with the bass strings.

Very generally, bass strings ringing out is what lends the "multi instrument" feel in many fingerpicking pieces, and is often the rhythm section; if you've noticed, the bass strings are most likely played on the beat, instead of syncopated.

In classical guitar, you don't necessarily hear the bass ringing on and on, as you're often more likely to fret that note, and once you've moved on, it's not ringing anymore. So I'll safely assume you're talking mostly about open strings ringing.

What is "Air?"

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:34 PM   #3
Seattle

"Air on the G string" is a classic Bach piece.

I've now looked at some YouTube videos and I just need to learn to dampen the bass strings with my thumb.

The problem was occurring when playing an open E string with a fretting treble string and then when you move to the next fretted note the E is still ringing when it's no longer appropriate.

You just have to stick your thumb in there at that point it seems. The problem is exacerbated I'm sure by amplification.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Sometimes I dampen a string before the next note. It gets to be a part of playing the melody, but it doesn't appear on the written music.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
"Air on the G string" is a classic Bach piece.

I've now looked at some YouTube videos and I just need to learn to dampen the bass strings with my thumb.

The problem was occurring when playing an open E string with a fretting treble string and then when you move to the next fretted note the E is still ringing when it's no longer appropriate.

You just have to stick your thumb in there at that point it seems. The problem is exacerbated I'm sure by amplification.
Try dampening the ringing bass string with a finger that's fretting the new bass note, if possible. This would decrease hand movement. But, if you're going from an open E to an open A, I guess you could use your thumb.

I thought moving your thumb from the rear of the neck was verboten in classical technique.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Try dampening the ringing bass string with a finger that's fretting the new bass note, if possible. This would decrease hand movement. But, if you're going from an open E to an open A, I guess you could use your thumb.

I thought moving your thumb from the rear of the neck was verboten in classical technique.
I have no classical technique but I was referring to use the thumb of my picking hand.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
I have no classical technique but I was referring to use the thumb of my picking hand.
I'd think that might be hard, especially if you have to thumb another bass not.

How about the heel of your hand?

I have no classical technique either. I hope Berklee isn't still torturing students with learning classical pieces, played with a pick.