Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 12-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #21
Island Eddie
pure of heart, dim of wit

Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia
Default Answers to various questions about replacement pickups:

Taken from the Bare Knuckle Pickups site, but has alot of useful general information about all sorts of replacement pickups, that can be applicable to any brand.

There are alot of threads asking questions that are answered in great detail in this link, so I thought I'd post it when I came across it:

https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/shop/help.php

" You have you experience to believe in the pleasures of a heated toilet seat."

-Bun E. Carlos
Island Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
SimonJosephJames

SimonJosephJames Just getting started

great post, bookmarked for sure!
SimonJosephJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #23
belleswell

belleswell Just getting started

Rich Harris at Ibanez Rulez has some great tips and tricks for setups. Some very helpful info at his tech page.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

This ones handy for scales of all kinds, chords, and fretboard layouts when any given scale is selected.

http://jguitar.com/scale
belleswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #24
elrene

elrene Just getting started

this is some very helpuful and cool stuff Especially for me the guitargeek one

- Dean Dave Mustaine (united abomination)
- Jackson Js 22-7 (7 string)
- Line 6 Spider lll 75 watt
- Guitar Rig 5
- Fruity Loops 10
elrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #25
newguy

newguy Just getting started

Hi, thanks for sharing the links. I read about a handful of them. I'm a beginner/ newb when it comes to knowledge of musical instruments and equipment. Iv played 6string on and off for a few years. Recently decided to take playing serious and get a band together. (A raw punk/crust dbeat sound(discharge,avskum,totalitar ) is what I'm aiming for). Most of the info was far above my head. But I still took in some info for sure. All in all I'm trying to figure out a 4x12 and amp for our practice space and gigs at a small local venue. I'm not just looking for a "oh buy this it sound good" answer. I am looking to better my knowledge on gear. But I need it in more of a lamens terms with technicals pluged in here and there till I pick up on it better. Everyone keeps telling me to buy a modeling amp/ small combo because I'm not that experienced. Well for the sound I'm going for raw dbeat I only really need one pedal. I'm currently running my schecter through a PA speaker and using a boss bass pedal for distortion. The sound isn't horrible but with drums and bass its hard to hear just one small PA speaker. I've seen a couple peavey 4x12's pretty cheap near by but don't know much about them. I've only ever played on a line6 spyder I had, and a marshal half & head my buddy had. Obviously I'd love that set up but that far to pricey for me right now.
Anyway this post is way to long thanks for listening / reading. Cheers guys.
newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #26
Hawk

Hawk Just getting started Hawk Just getting started

What exactly is it that you are looking for information on? Specifics about individual amps? Or just a recommendation for a head and 4x12?
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #27
newguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
What exactly is it that you are looking for information on? Specifics about individual amps? Or just a recommendation for a head and 4x12?

Both really. Why I can buy a used 4x12 for 200$ compared to a smaller combo 1x10 or 1x12 for the same price. Idk I just wanna jam and have something I can use for shows. But don't know jack crap about equipment. I've always just played acoustics.
I had a small spyder lin6 combo once 1x10 I believe. I traded of to a buddy and he uses it for shows mic'ed through the PA and you can always hear it good. There's just so much stuff out there its overwhelming.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #28
Hawk

Hawk Just getting started Hawk Just getting started

Variations in price will be for a bunch of reasons.

Quality
Condition
Age (if it's used)
Brand name
Tube vs Solid State (tube will generally be more expensive)
How desirable it is (may or may not be a reflection of quality)
Etc, etc

Your best bet is to just try things out and buy whatever gives you the feels. I'll say you probably don't need a 4x12 to be loud enough to play in a band, but if you want a 4x12 you should get one.

Tons of brands and models out there. After you try some out, come ask questions if you have them. In the end, it's a very individual decision though.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #29
newguy

This guy near me is selling a Marshall dfx 50 combo. Just 1x12 I was thinking it would work for a practice space till I can really try a few 4x12's out. The review for it of coarse is all good. So doesn't really tell me much. But if I can get if for 30-40$ I feel like it would be worth it. It's like any time I look up amp specs most of the stuff I don't even know what it means. Also there isn't much for music shops near either. No GC, and like two small local shops which look to be struggling. I'll try and get up there and mess around on a few test out the different sound.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #30
newguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Variations in price will be for a bunch of reasons.

Quality
Condition
Age (if it's used)
Brand name
Tube vs Solid State (tube will generally be more expensive)
How desirable it is (may or may not be a reflection of quality)
Etc, etc

Your best bet is to just try things out and buy whatever gives you the feels. I'll say you probably don't need a 4x12 to be loud enough to play in a band, but if you want a 4x12 you should get one.

Tons of brands and models out there. After you try some out, come ask questions if you have them. In the end, it's a very individual decision though.

I found this orange 120w amp for $340. good price? I feel its reasonable its used. I keen I can get a cab for it whenever. I picked up that dfx50 Marshall combo. Sounds fine deffinatly enough to practice at home with.