Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 06-30-2015, 10:09 PM   #1
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON
Default Nails

Do you clip them or grow them on yourstrumming hand?
Someone asked if I could play cavatina Saturday night I woke up Sunday morning gassing to learn it.
Family sstill in bed so I was trying to play real quiet.
My nails were not long by any means but man i had to cut them to get the feel to play quiet.

I dont know how you can get feeling into it with longer nails i certainly can't.
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
Deathroman13
Ave Sathanas

Deathroman13 has disabled reputation

I let my nails grow on my strumming hand because it is easier to strum that way although I mostly use a pick.
Deathroman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:37 PM   #3
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'm a fingerpicker, but my nails are weak, so I keep them short. I agree that it is easier to get feeling in with shorter nails, but IMO you can get used to playing with anything,
Aggressive flamenco player like long nails, but some powerful players, eg Rory Block, just use their finger pads, no nail contact at all.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:04 AM   #4
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

I play 99% withy fingers. Sometimes my finger nail catches on the strings if left a bit long, and it used to bother me. I'm ok with it now.

I like the mellow sound you get playing with the fleshy parts of the fingers. I don't think it comes down to feeling more tone wise with the nail givng you a brighter sound.

It does take time getting used to playing with nails, or false one's as they seem detached from the fingers. I do like the tactile feeling without them.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:33 AM   #5
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

I almost always keep them very short on the fretting fingers, and maybe a little more natural on the picking fingers. Some of my fretboards are covered in divots from years of not paying attention.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:43 AM   #6
Tobysus6

Tobysus6 Just getting started

My personal preference is to keep them kind of in between so that I can play more on my nails or fingers depending what style or volume I'm playing.
Tobysus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #7
PEAVEYUSA
PEAVEYUSA

PEAVEYUSA Just getting started PEAVEYUSA Just getting started

I contantly rip mine off because i hold my pick deep with a nib sticking out. Now Im experimenting with power chords and really ripping my nails up
Old 07-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I used to play classical and let my nails grow. I don't play much classical now so I keep my nails short.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #9
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON

Jase has myproblem the nail would catch the string and then it would be a loud note just sounded abs felt terrible
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #10
Genereaux

Genereaux Just getting started

I tried to use the nails, ala classical style, back when I started. It was always odd for me. As was using fingerpicks (like for the banjo). For fingerpicking now, I just use bare fingers. Although, i keep some fingernail on those fingers, because I will sometimes use them to downstroke chords.
GOT to trim the left hand to nubs though. Otherwise my chord fingering suffers
Genereaux is offline   Reply With Quote