Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Other Stringed Instruments

Old 06-19-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life
Default NUD!

With all the talk about ukes lately, and having an interest, I treated myself to one. This was listed on the GC site: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Cordoba/...ric-Ukulele.gc But it was dinged up, not to mention, not having a battery box, so I opted for this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kala/KA-...ric-Ukulele.gc

I really didn't want to spend that much, but choices were very limited.

The high G is throwing me off, but I've spent the last hour messing around. The Cordoba definitely sounded better. The Kala has a Tusq graphite nut. I may put nylgut strings on, as the nylon strings sound a little too plinky.

There's uke apps for android that might help. Playing a different stringed instrument may help me with guitar, but it's something new, and gets the brain cells working.

Sorry, Mr. Badboy, made in China, but the choice were terribly limited.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:41 PM   #2
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I've got a Kala in concert size, solid mahogany. I wouldn't use a high 4th string, and AFAIK traditionally tenors had a low 4th. A classical guitar 4th string works fine, and in concert size I can get two out of one guitar string. Those Aquila nylgut plain strings are good though.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:44 PM   #3
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Cool, when can we expect the "When I'm cleaning Windows" cover?

I think my next purchase is going to be a mandolin.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:26 AM   #4
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Tip tooooeeee thru the tulips......

Cool, Slim, can't wait to hear you play us something? Do you know any chords or anything on the Uke or are you starting from scratch? I played one at the Chicago Music Exchange & it was fun.
Aly
Old 06-20-2016, 02:38 AM   #5
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child

I predict that one year from today we shall know exactly how many ukes one can store under a bed!
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:41 AM   #6
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Oh no ! That was where I was to sleep. Slim offered me those deluxe sleeping accommodations when I visit NYC.
ALy
Old 06-20-2016, 03:24 AM   #7
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Congratulations! Haven't tried playing on a uke before.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:11 AM   #8
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
I've got a Kala in concert size, solid mahogany. I wouldn't use a high 4th string, and AFAIK traditionally tenors had a low 4th. A classical guitar 4th string works fine, and in concert size I can get two out of one guitar string. Those Aquila nylgut plain strings are good though.
Far's I know the high G is traditional. It's how it came strung up anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
Oh no ! That was where I was to sleep. Slim offered me those deluxe sleeping accommodations when I visit NYC.
ALy
No, I said you'd be sleeping under me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Congratulations! Haven't tried playing on a uke before.
I hadn't either, so I'm starting from scratch. The Cordoba sounded lots better, but I felt I deserved a treat. Then I came home and saw a $20 uke vs. a $500 one on YT...FML...

It's an a/e. I find it surprisingly expressive. The (high) G, C, A, E is confusing as hell. I figured out the chords to the descending line in Sultans of Swing lol. Holding it under my arm is weird. Guess I should look up how to properly hold it. Feels like a toy.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:49 AM   #9
jwmurrayjr

jwmurrayjr Just getting started jwmurrayjr Just getting started
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post

Playing a different stringed instrument may help me with guitar, but it's something new, and gets the brain cells working.

Sorry, Mr. Badboy, made in China, but the choice were terribly limited.
I think it's helping me. I got a couple of books and I've finished book 1. There's a lot about intervals, inversions and extensions that have been good "refreshers" of stuff that I learned 50 years ago. It's cut into my guitar practice but it's fun.

Washburn Classical, Epi LP Spec I, SX S-type, Fender Starcaster, Hadean T-type, Epi LP Jr., Zoom G1Xon

"I'll never own an expensive guitar. If I won one, I'd sell it and buy some inexpensive guitars and a couple burritos."
Cyphre.
jwmurrayjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:02 AM   #10
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Yeah, I know a lot now come with a high 4th, but I think it might be a recent cheap trick to save on string types.

Here's an example:

http://www.ukuleles.com/SetupnCare/TenorTune.html
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote