Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Other Stringed Instruments

Old 10-04-2016, 03:44 AM   #1
Eighthnote

Eighthnote Just getting started
Default 4 string pedal steel?

Hello, I bought this in an estate sale. Been in touch with the biggest shops in the country. No one has ever seen anything like this or understand the need. [IMG][/IMG]
Eighthnote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:58 AM   #2
classicrock

classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma

Wow that's pretty cool. Looks like a standard 8 string pedal steel with a slide bass attached. It has way more pedals than I would expect...does it have knee levers as well? Are some of the pedals hooked up to the bass strings?
classicrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:24 AM   #3
Eighthnote

Default No and No

My apologies. I did not get a notice someone replied to my initial post. The answers are no there are no knee levers. And no the pedals do not effect the bass neck at all. I was leaning towards this being hand made in the late 50's or early 60's. But then I do not know how they made the frame for this. It feels like fiberglass or some type of industrial plastic. Have really no glue who made it. Thanks for the questions.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:42 AM   #4
Gull14
milspec6

Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Probably was garage built.....cool find. I don't know squat about the laps, but anytime you find something in good shape that is unique, I am all for it.
Gull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:10 AM   #5
classicrock

classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma

I used to play a lot of country back in the 90's. I always admired the pedal steel players and still think that it takes incredible musicianship to do what they do. I once had a great discussion with a steel player that was a Nashville studio player in the 50's & 60's there were just a hand full of these guys and the field was wide open. He told me back then most of the pedal players would just tinker in their garages and come up with new stuff. They would come up with their own lever mechanisms and tuning arrangements adding strings and necks.
classicrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:23 AM   #6
Eighthnote

Default Like a fish

I've was lucky enough to have parents that gave me an opportunity to be exposed to music at a very young age. I started on the violin in 2nd grade and played until 10th. Then all of our bass players graduated and was asked to switch to upright bass. I played guitar from 6th grade to infinity. Two instruments that I have been very lucky with are harmonica and any type of lap steel guitar. I wouldn't call myself a virtuous on any instrument but for some reason the first time I picked up a harp or a lap steel I was over come with the feeling of familiarity. Took right to them. I still don't get the 4 string neck but it's fun tuning the 8 string to open keys and being able to get something going with it.
If I had more time and determination (75% of all musical talent in my opinion) I would love to use some 6th chords and actually learn how to use the pedals to change keys on a fly. Maybe some day. Thanks for the input peeps...........