Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Other Stringed Instruments

Old 10-26-2016, 08:27 PM   #1
Eighthnote

Eighthnote Just getting started
Default Intonation on a resonator

Hello all, I just received my new Gretsch G9230 today. I'm aware it's not a $4000.00 National but for the money it has great tone and very playable.
The G9230 is the square neck. On all my other guitars I have individual saddles to adjust the intonation. On this square neck I don't see that. If anyone has any experience with this I would be very appreciative of any info. The intonation isn't off by a huge amount but hey, we're talking intonation here not horseshoes. Close doesn't really work well with a musical instrument. HELP...........
Eighthnote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Most acoustics have fairly rudimentary compensation for intonation on the saddle, and saddle location matters very little on a squareneck reso, since it is a lap steel you aren't using the frets. - You just get used to compensatiing for minor anomalies in fret location. You can alter the location of the saddle on biscuit bridges by putting it either in front of or behind the original saddle slot. I'm not sure what you could do on a spider bridge, except move the whole cone and spider backwards or forwards.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:42 PM   #3
Eighthnote

Eighthnote Just getting started
Default Good post

I never thought about not using the frets. Makes me wonder why the manufacturer even bothered comes into question. A fret-less lap steel. Brilliant. My ears and experience on the instrument will have to adapt. Doesn't look like the saddle or fulcrum points have any adjustment. Thanks for the post.
Eighthnote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:00 PM   #4
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Well a lot of lap steel designs, especially electrics, use painted-on markers. Here's one I made, the markers are on the back of clear acrylic in the old Supro style:

I suppose that the acoustic makers stuck with frets because it was easier than changing to paint.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote