Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 06-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts
Default Your Best "Deal" Gear-Wise?

I'm sure most of us who've been at this awhile have had a slew of transactions with gear. I have a few that couldn't have worked out better and I've let a few get away that I eventually second-guessed, c'est la vie.

What's been your best "deal" in terms of gear?

I traded off a 5-string Peavey bass I think I originally got for about $150, wasn't really using anyway, and was missing a bridge saddle for a Shure Beta 87A vocal mic which I have since used constantly and sounds awesome.

But I'd say the best deal I've had to date was the Squier Vintage Modified Cabronita Telecaster pictured below. They're not a current production model but I'm pretty sure they went for about $300 new when they were issued; I paid half that and absolutely love this axe.

So yeah - tell me about the time you came out like a bandit! Doesn't have to be a guitar, could be a stompbox, amp, etc.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
jgln

jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I got a practically brand new Peavy 112 for $100 off a teenager who needed weed money. I still have that amp. Now in my defense I was only about 10 years older than that teenager and thought a deal is a deal so later when he asked for it back I said "No, you offered it to me for $100 and I accepted". Thinking back his parents probably bought that amp for him and were pissed when they found out he sold it for $100, today I would probably have sold it back.
jgln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
crank

crank Just getting started

Has to be my 1990 something Epiphone Sorento hollow body, made in Korea. Just a great looking, sounding and playing guitar that I got for free!

I used to work producing and directing marketing videos for a company that owned CMT among other cable networks. I flew out to San Diego to shoot a spot with The Mavericks that also involved MCA records and Gibson. Being the last one on site I noticed the guitar was still there. I brought it back to CT with me and called the MCA Nashville VP who had brought it out to San Diego for the shoot. He said, "I've got 3 more sitting here in my office so if you want it, it's yours."

Not mine but this is the same guitar.
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
I got a practically brand new Peavy 112 for $100 off a teenager who needed weed money. I still have that amp. Now in my defense I was only about 10 years older than that teenager and thought a deal is a deal so later when he asked for it back I said "No, you offered it to me for $100 and I accepted". Thinking back his parents probably bought that amp for him and were pissed when they found out he sold it for $100, today I would probably have sold it back.
That reminded me - more than 20 years ago a kid gave me his Digitech Grunge Pedal for 3 fairly thin joints, lol. Ah the memories.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:46 PM   #5
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
I used to work producing and directing marketing videos for a company that owned CMT among other cable networks. I flew out to San Diego to shoot a spot with The Mavericks that also involved MCA records and Gibson. Being the last one on site I noticed the guitar was still there. I brought it back to CT with me and called the MCA Nashville VP who had brought it out to San Diego for the shoot. He said, "I've got 3 more sitting here in my office so if you want it, it's yours."
Now that's a steal alright! Nice lookin' axe too!
Old 06-02-2017, 07:54 PM   #6
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

To me a real deal is when something exceeds expectations, not just how much/little you've paid.

I have 3 items:

1. PRS SE ZM. Despite the short frets, it's the guitar I grab most often.
2. THR 10.
3. PreSonus Faderport.

My list of things I've bought that I know longer use is longer

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #7
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Just remembering that bargains aren't so easy to come by here in Oz, my favourite guitar is a Vietnamese (not Chinese!) made Peavey Raptor Plus Exp that I got in a stock clearance sale at the local Cash Converters. It cost Oz$65, weighs 5 1/2 lb and only needed a setup. The neck, frets and pickups were good. It isn't so much the low cost, as the fact that I might not find a guitar at any price that I like any better.

Last edited by Tony Done; 06-02-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #8
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

I think the most timely deal I ever got was my VOX Da-15 amp I bought in 06 or so. $105.00 out the door and it still works everyday when asked. That 105 has gone a long way..
Old 06-03-2017, 01:38 AM   #9
LaPanthere

LaPanthere Just getting started

My PRS! My main dealer knew i anted one but it was not in my budget, so one day he proposed me ''a PRS'' with a ''minor chip'' without any further details. Neither the ''chip'', nor the model or the color, but I had te decide immediately if I want or or - at 50% the list price of a PRS Custom back in 1992. i agreed of course and some weeks later he surprised me with a hardcase.... inside was my whale blue PRS Custom 24 10-Top with Birds, 5-way rotary and sweet switch I agreed to buy for a bargain price. The Chip? well it's an oval little chip in the finish - if you don(t know it's there you won't even see it Oh and yes, she was whale BLUE - after 25 years she's aged in beauty to this finish

My other bargain was a MB Himmelsschlüssel, that I got for $150. I didn't really like it even it was quite a nice guitar. I resold for $750. Eventually only 12 of those guitars had been built, each one with a different pickup/trem configuration and now - IF you find one - they are several thousand dollars, but I didn't know about the rarity way back then!
Image is another one, mine was pink

We had a little store in town, dealing used and old instruments of any kind. The original owner disapeared (I've been told he moved to australia? But this is an unsolved and weird history). The guy since then keeping the store didn't know ANYTHING about instrulents - if it looked nice it was expensive, if it was beaten down, chips and worn you could get it for peanuts. I remember he had a 1958 LP Junior and he asked $200 for it - I was a fool not buying it back then in the 80's 5i bought a Vee, a graphic series Explorer and an Armstrong Plexiglass so nothing left for the Junior

Last edited by LaPanthere; 06-03-2017 at 01:51 AM.
LaPanthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
HawkHunt

HawkHunt Just getting started

I got a Gibson Les Paul for 17 euro
HawkHunt is offline   Reply With Quote