Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 10-16-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
Guitarguymoseng

Guitarguymoseng Just getting started
Default New as "band leader"

Hey guys,

So, finally(!), the Breaking The Barrier project is happening! A band project I've been planning for God knows how long... The thing is, though. How to have the rest of the band members "get" what you're aiming for?

I've got plenty of experience as a teacher of music, but I've never been leading a serious band project, with the goal of gigs, maybe even record production.

Anyone got any good tips? Anything is appreciated.

Br,
Mr. Moseng
Guitarguymoseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Well, basically if anything goes wrong I have to fix it. I have to learn all the songs and teach them to everybody, and they proceed to screw it up and forget everything. And there is the usual "What key is it out of?" question before each song, even if we've been playing the song for years.

I just shut up and put up with it. We play gigs and keep getting work and that's what is important.

Oh and venue managers consider bands totally unimportant. They cancel gigs at any time without notice, change the deal, change anything and expect us to agree to it. And we do because we like working.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:10 PM   #3
crank

crank Just getting started

Communication is key.

It helps to have a group of dedicated players who will do their homework and come to practice on time and prepared.

When I was in my 20's and in an original band we had regularly scheduled practices 2 nights per week. 3 would have been better. I have been in bands where people showed up late, unprepared, or not at all. In my experience if you have players like that it is best to replace them with ones who can at least show up.

My current band is super organized. We have a shared calendar where everybody puts dates they are not available. We have charts and mp3's of all songs we do on a site as well. We are all older, somewhat responsible adults who have played in many bands over the years and when we practice everyone already knows their parts.

We used to have a practice every Thursday on weeks when we did not have a gig. Now we only practice when we want to add some new songs.

My advice is to make sure everyone knows what is expected and when. Frequent and clear communication helps a lot. Regularly scheduled practice sessions also help a lot and make sure everyone knows what you will be working on in those sessions.
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

^^^ This.

That said, Fleetwood Mac are perhaps one of the most dysfunctional bands ever, but they have done well.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Another +1 for crank .

My band isn't quite as organized, but things are clearly communicated, expectations are set, and everything runs smoothly.

I personally find a band runs better when there is a leader, whether they are acknowledged as such or are allowed to act in that capacity. Otherwise it's like herding cats and the project goes absolutely nowhere!

I know I don't make a good band leader...I'm too indecisive and am afraid of offending people. I still like to have my voice heard and my input taken under serious consideration.

Good luck!!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:38 PM   #6
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Our bass player quit today. No big loss. The guy was about the worst sounding random note musician I ever met. He did, however, manage to show up about half the time.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
Our bass player quit today. No big loss. The guy was about the worst sounding random note musician I ever met. He did, however, manage to show up about half the time.
Well that just sucks. Bass players are hard to find...good bass players are impossible to find...they do exist though.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:25 PM   #8
Smedley Fingers

Smedley Fingers Just getting started Smedley Fingers Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
Well that just sucks. Bass players are hard to find...good bass players are impossible to find...they do exist though.
It's funny you said that. I have an aquintance who is an amazing guitar player. What was strange to me is that he the bass player in like 6 different bands. After reading your post it makes sense now.
Smedley Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #9
BallisticSquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedley Fingers View Post
It's funny you said that. I have an aquintance who is an amazing guitar player. What was strange to me is that he the bass player in like 6 different bands. After reading your post it makes sense now.
I know a drummer and a guitarist (both excellent with pro level chops) who also play bass. It gets them gigs they may otherwise not get.

We have an excellent bass player in my band. It's so rare, it feels like a privilege .
Old 10-19-2017, 02:34 AM   #10
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I tried to run a coup!e of small bands. Oh, the horror of it all. When it works, it's great and when it doesn't, it's horrible.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote