Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 12-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #11
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

From another female whose is old enough to be your mama, has lots of experience with bands & men, HELL NO, Bob has got to go & stay gone !!!!! Listen to your friends & that little voice inside you that agrees with the majority!
Old 12-04-2017, 08:30 PM   #12
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

"Look at Bob. Bob is unreliable. Don't be like Bob."

As others have said here, pick band members you can trust and rely on. I saw some of your videos on line. You're a better singer than he is a guitarist.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #13
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Louie View Post
You may also want to address how members will be getting paid when you gig out. If your the true leader you might want to take charge of bookings and pay your band a flat fee for their services. The boss takes the hits when things go south, the boss should get the gravy when things work out. Remember, it was you that put this act together.
That's not a band, that's the "Summer Grace Project". Perhaps that's appropriate, but that will change the dynamics of things wildly since the band would then be made up of hired hands. If things aren't really good (lots of gigs, etc.) expect a revolving door of musicians.

Not the sort of thing I'd want to be part of, but to each their own.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:44 PM   #14
Lefty Louie
Banned

Lefty Louie Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
That's not a band, that's the "Summer Grace Project". Perhaps that's appropriate, but that will change the dynamics of things wildly since the band would then be made up of hired hands. If things aren't really good (lots of gigs, etc.) expect a revolving door of musicians.

Not the sort of thing I'd want to be part of, but to each their own.
It's up to the leader of the band to decide what her extra efforts are worth. If she doesn't get something extra at some point she will tire of doing the lump sum of work but getting no juice for a reward.

If she writes, set play lists, finds gigs then she brings added value IMO. I know this is an exaggeration but look what happened with the eagles, in the end the 2 lead members took the lions share and the others were either paid or took a smaller percentage.

IMO it's better to establish this upfront. If they hired a manager what would the manager get paid, she the leader should get at least that much.
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:29 PM   #15
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Here's something I'll ask, and it's something I'd advise anybody who's putting a band together to consider if they haven't already. Why are you doing it? What's the goal and objective?

Do you want the best possible sounding band you can muster to play bigger and bigger gigs and get more and more professional? Or are you looking to have the least possible stress and the greatest possible personal enjoyment?

It's damn rare that a single band can be both.

If it's Type A - let Bob come back, play more dynamic tunes where his talents will really shine - stifle your personal feelings or issues and just let it be more like a part-time job.

If it's Type B - forget about Bob, make a clean break and just have fun with your new bandmates; define your success by the camaraderie you share. If he's that good he'll find something else. Also - don't sleep with any more bandmates, lol.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #16
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

What what?
I used provide the practice space & half the equipment. I was one of 2 roadies. I sang & I played guitar. I got all the gigs. I was the manager, cheerleader, hired & fired people as needed. And to think I made zero dollars, I am a sucker !!! No more of that shit !
Old 12-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #17
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child

What is it with Bobs????

Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:41 PM   #18
AlyKat
Collab Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
What is it with Bobs????

They have no arms & legs
Old 12-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #19
Borodog

Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow

Step 1) Talk to current band members and lay the whole situation out. Don't step on new guitarist's toes, but let them know Bob is amazeballs on the guitar and you think it would improve the band to have 2 guitarists. Don't try to relegate new guy to rhythm or anything like that. New guy will probably relish the chance to learn from amazeballs guitarist. Also let them know about the relationship and that you don't want any weirdness about it.

Step 2) Give Bob another chance, after fully explaining how you interpreted his previous behavior, i.e. that he flaked out and left you in a musical lurch, and that you do not want any repeats of that behavior, regardless of any future girlfriends.

Step 3) Rise to stardom.
Borodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #20
Borodog

Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow

I think Summer Grace is a fantastic band name, for what it's worth.
Borodog is offline   Reply With Quote