Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 01-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #1
HarryJS

HarryJS Just getting started
Default Any lefties here that play right-handed?

I've been pondering this lately. I've been playing for a few months now and have been enjoying myself. I'm left-handed, but I play right-handed. I've heard so many opinions on this subject from "just play right-handed" to "you'll never be good if you play right-handed!" Playing right-handed feels right to me, although playing left handed doesn't feel terrible. Playing right-handed may be due to years of violin playing where left-handedness is seriously frowned upon.

I'm sort of cross handed in that I use different hands for different tasks. I could never shoot a shotgun left-handed, for example. I can however write pretty well with my right hand although I prefer to use my left hand, and I bowl right handed mostly.

thoughts?
HarryJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryJS View Post
I've been pondering this lately. I've been playing for a few months now and have been enjoying myself. I'm left-handed, but I play right-handed. I've heard so many opinions on this subject from "just play right-handed" to "you'll never be good if you play right-handed!" Playing right-handed feels right to me, although playing left handed doesn't feel terrible. Playing right-handed may be due to years of violin playing where left-handedness is seriously frowned upon.

I'm sort of cross handed in that I use different hands for different tasks. I could never shoot a shotgun left-handed, for example. I can however write pretty well with my right hand although I prefer to use my left hand, and I bowl right handed mostly.

thoughts?
One the one hand, I think that you should use your left hand, but on the other hand, maybe you should use your right.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

You are ambidextrous!

My daughter is a lefty too! She's only 8 and does not play guitar yet. But she prefers playing Wii guitar hero on the right. She said she doesn't feel comfortable playing as a lefty. I am excited because this would make it easier for me to teach her guitar if she becomes interested.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

I'd give my left arm to be ambidextrous.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

I'm a lefty that was born into a musical family that was all right handed. I didn't become aware that they made left handed guitars until after I learned to play. I literally was given a Les Paul on the day of my birth.

During my early years, I really wanted to be a Virtuoso. I was quick to accept my physical/mechanical limitations and became highly influenced by great guitarists with less than stellar academic chops (BB King, Dickie Betts, J Mascis, etc).

After 30 years of playing, I don't really think about handedness. I can play pretty much play an immediate facsimile of whatever comes into my head, and I can polish up the parts with a bit of practice so that other guitarists can't tell I'm backwards. In addition, some of choices I make to work around my limitations sound unique and distinguish me from other guitarists in terms of composition and sonic mayhem.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Interesting that somebody brought up violin. My younger son is a lefty, my older son is righty. My older son plays viola and I had wondered what the deal would be if he was the lefty...as far as I can see, they don't make left handed violas.

The thing is no matter which way you play, both hands have a pretty complex job to do and do it in coordination with the other hand. The hand that is generally responsible for the most intricate work for a righty is the non dominant hand...you fret with your left hand. For things like trills and vibrato, I think my right hand would feel more coordinated.

If you play piano, both hands are involved and they don't make left handed pianos.

What I've always heard was it's best to try a right handed instrument. If that doesn't work out, then go to a left handed instrument. Sure there are lefty guitars, but the selection is quite limited in comparison to righty guitars.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #7
watson503
Up The Irons !!!

watson503 Just getting started watson503 Just getting started

I'm left-handed but have played right-handed guitars since I was a kid, it always felt more natural to me. I will say I've had to dedicate time to my right hand and fast alt and downpicking, probably more than if I played left-handed, but that has turned into a positive as I primarily play/write thrash and death metal which incorporates a lot of fast alt and downpicking.
watson503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

I'm right handed but grew up throwing a Frisbee left handed. Does that count?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #9
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I had a friend who was a lefty but he played guitar quite well as a righty. If you think about it, why do we finger the notes with our weak hand? Shouldn't us righty's be fingering the notes with our right hand and strumming with our left? Anyway, if you can play right handed, you'll save a ton of money when you buy a guitar and it will be easy to find the guitar you want. Lefties have to hunt for left handed guitars and often end up with what they can find and not what they want.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:50 AM   #10
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

I'm a lefty, but confusidextrous:

handwriting - left
guitar - right
throw footballs - left
throw round balls - right
bat - left
kick football/soccer - right
grope - either, but prefer right

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote