Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 01-23-2018, 01:12 AM   #11
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Multi-effects user, who wants to cart all that crap around, not me !
Old 01-23-2018, 03:44 AM   #12
Big John

Big John Just getting started Big John Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
I’m just starting to learn about guitar effects.

I own one effect (distortion) and would like to buy more, compressor, over drive, echo, reverb, etc.

Is there such thing as a one unit do all or should I buy each individually?
Since you already have one effect, I suggest just adding individual effects as needed. I think it is easier to learn to use effects this way. You can simply turn them on/off with a stomp on the footswitch and make adjustments by turning one or three knobs. Many individual effects pedals are so simple to operate that you don't even need to read the manual. On the other hand, some multi-effects units have 80 page manuals, complicated interfaces, etc. And while a multi-effects unit can "do it all", in reality you may only use 10% of what it can do anyway. I think my multi-effects unit has 50 effects...I use maybe 4 of them.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:52 AM   #13
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Not only are multi effects nice, but you'll save a TON over buying stomp boxes. My RP360 has like 100 or more effects in it, (along with a lot of other features, tuner, interface, drums, tuner, amp sims, cab sims), yet it was only 150 bucks. I have a delay stomp box I payed 180 for, by itself!
Old 01-23-2018, 04:05 AM   #14
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
Not only are multi effects nice, but you'll save a TON over buying stomp boxes. My RP360 has like 100 or more effects in it, (along with a lot of other features, tuner, interface, drums, tuner, amp sims, cab sims), yet it was only 150 bucks. I have a delay stomp box I payed 180 for, by itself!
IIRC, yours also has a built in pizza warmer
Old 01-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #15
Cobra

Cobra Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
If you're not that familiar with fx, what makes you think you need any, e.g. compressor?

A comp really isn't an effect per se, but its side effects can be a change in tone.
I’m trying to learn the lead to “Comfortably Numb” and from what I can gather David Gilmore uses compression in the mix of effects.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #16
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
Since you already have one effect, I suggest just adding individual effects as needed. I think it is easier to learn to use effects this way. You can simply turn them on/off with a stomp on the footswitch and make adjustments by turning one or three knobs. Many individual effects pedals are so simple to operate that you don't even need to read the manual. On the other hand, some multi-effects units have 80 page manuals, complicated interfaces, etc. And while a multi-effects unit can "do it all", in reality you may only use 10% of what it can do anyway. I think my multi-effects unit has 50 effects...I use maybe 4 of them.
I didn't read my GT-1 manual at all! I just plugged it into my computer, installed and opened the Tone Studio, and everything was there like a pedal board with individual pedals where you can adjust each.

He can sell his pedal now and add some to buy an mfx.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #17
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Just to add that these days multi effects unit sound pretty damned good. Analogue pedals used to have a much better sound, but not now. Too close to call for my ears anyway.

I paid £320 for my GT-100 and that was brand new. You cannot buy two top end pedals for that money.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:56 PM   #18
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
IIRC, yours also has a built in pizza warmer
well of course, don't they all? LOL
Old 01-23-2018, 08:39 PM   #19
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

I'm not really a pedal guy myself. I have a briefcase full of boxed and unused pedals because someone else said they were the stuff... We all do that in the course of playing experience. I once owned a Digitech RP-3, yeah, that's old. I enjoyed if for what it was until I took to a stage with it. Too much going on for real time work for me.

But for someone starting out and cannot nor will not know what each individual pedal does, they can get that all in one for learning and choose the stand alone's they want after the fact.

My suggestion is to go with a multi if you are at home and just learning.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:47 AM   #20
GarethB

GarethB Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
I'm not really a pedal guy myself. I have a briefcase full of boxed and unused pedals because someone else said they were the stuff... We all do that in the course of playing experience. I once owned a Digitech RP-3, yeah, that's old. I enjoyed if for what it was until I took to a stage with it. Too much going on for real time work for me.

But for someone starting out and cannot nor will not know what each individual pedal does, they can get that all in one for learning and choose the stand alone's they want after the fact.

My suggestion is to go with a multi if you are at home and just learning.
I agree. An all-in-one multi-effects units will give you a bunch of different effects to try out and experiment with for the cost of two or three good individual pedals. When you have a better idea of which effects you do want to use and which effects you don't want to use you can start looking at individual pedals in a more informed way.

There's also a new trend in effects units that should grow over the next few years, multi-effects units that have connections to attach some extra individual pedals. The Boss MS-3 is an example of this. It has over 100 effects built in, it has connectors for three extra individual pedals, it can be programmed to integrate the individual pedals anywhere in the effects chain, and a bunch of other features. It costs about the same as three or four individual Boss pedals. I expect other brands to offer something similar in the near future. It looks like a viable middle ground between an "'all in one" unit and a full individual pedal setup.
GarethB is offline   Reply With Quote