Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 01-24-2018, 03:51 AM   #21
Big John

Big John Just getting started Big John Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
I’m just starting to learn about guitar effects.
Here's a tutorial I posted several years ago that explains the commonly used guitar effects (without focusing on any particular make/model).

https://vimeo.com/26391984
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:15 PM   #22
Cobra

Cobra Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
Here's a tutorial I posted several years ago that explains the commonly used guitar effects (without focusing on any particular make/model).

https://vimeo.com/26391984
This was very informative Big John. Thanks a ton!

P.S.- This should be a sticky.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:04 AM   #23
TheScholar
Bluegrass Musician

TheScholar Just getting started

I've used a GNX 4 for many years. When it was new, it cost me about $200 dollars. Despite the fact that it is no longer in production, many people still swear by them. You can probably pick one up used off Ebay for less then 100 dollars, and it is worth it.
TheScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:44 PM   #24
Cobra

Cobra Just getting started

I want to thank everyone for your replies and have decided to go with a Zoom G1on, multi...for now! Now on to the amplifier section.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #25
Highroller

Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
... some multi-effects units have 80 page manuals, complicated interfaces, etc. And while a multi-effects unit can "do it all", in reality you may only use 10% of what it can do anyway. I think my multi-effects unit has 50 effects...I use maybe 4 of them.
This has been my experience with MFX units. It always seems that the two damn sounds I want to use wind up being 3 banks away from each other and you spend half your time scrolling from one setting to the other.

That's fine for screwing around at home, but I've never been able to figure out how to make one work on a stage. There, it's hard to beat the direct control of a stomp box.

It's on. It's off. Simple.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #26
Christian Becker

Christian Becker Just getting started

That seems to be a bit more complicated than I had imagined, but I found a video for the GT-1 that explains how you can go (in this case) from clean to distortion with just one stomp of the CTL1 button.
Of course it is not as straight forward as having a foot switch and stomping it will turn it on and off, but once set up it should work nearly the same.
Christian Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #27
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
This has been my experience with MFX units. It always seems that the two damn sounds I want to use wind up being 3 banks away from each other and you spend half your time scrolling from one setting to the other.

That's fine for screwing around at home, but I've never been able to figure out how to make one work on a stage. There, it's hard to beat the direct control of a stomp box.

It's on. It's off. Simple.
It's a matter of planning. Put the patches you will be using for a song close to each other.

I still like the capability of playing dirty on a Bogner sim and a JC-120 on clean.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #28
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Newer amps come with lots of effects built in.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:35 AM   #29
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I think most people tire of both effects units and individual pedals after a while. Pedals are usually the first thing to go up on Ebay.

If you are playing onstage you might need a few but for at home play a little reverb and overdrive (which most amps have) will get you a long way.

I have a Blues Jr. and a Micro-cube. The Micro-cube has built-in effects. Even so, a little reverb and controlling the gain is all I usually use.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:04 AM   #30
Hurricane Ramon

Hurricane Ramon Just getting started
Thumbs up MFX UNITS

My MFX unit TC Helicon VoiceLive 3X

This unit is my second MFX unit . They IMHO Rock

EZ :

HR
It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote