Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 01-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #11
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfz View Post
So it is damaging for my guitar when I bring it on the bus and go to school and then have rehearsal later when its cold? I cant see how I can do it any other way, except for getting a hard shell case, but surely the guitar will also get cold when in a hard shell case?

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
I don't think these quick trips in & out of the cold are going to damage anything & letting the guitar warm up or acclimate solves the problem of being able to tune correctly.

My whole issue was not having an hour or two to wait & having to just jump in & start playing with a guitar that can't be tuned.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:45 PM   #12
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Worth noting:

Certain guitars handle wild temperature changes better than others.... Les Paul > SG, Telecaster > Stratocaster, etc. Nothing with a trapeze bridge or spring trem is going to hold tune.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #13
Lefty Louie
Banned

Lefty Louie Just getting started

Any way you can warm the rehearsal room? A small propane heater that attaches to a BBQ tank will heat a room nicely.
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:50 PM   #14
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

There's the Jimmy Hendrix guitar warming method, lighter fuel and a match.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:21 PM   #15
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
It's OK to get a guitar cold.
It's OK to get a guitar relatively warm (< 140deg-f).

It's especially NOT OK to go from hot to cold, or vice versa, in a very short amount of time. Nitrocellulose will check and crack, condensation in the pickups, wood drying out, etc.

Ski resorts were a place I played regularly. If you're playing live winter gigs like that, keep the guitar in a hard case, leave it in the case for ~15 mins before you open it so that it's somewhere close to the ambient temperature before opening. Never, under any circumstances, allow the inside of the case to become damp. If you live in an area where that's impossible (Hawaii), throw a couple silica-bead packets into the case to prevent mold/mildew/rust.

Heat... Don't leave your guitar in a car baking in the sun, don't set it on top of a radiator. When I want to straighten a warped neck, I bring it up to ~200f. I 'think' the flubbery-ness starts at the ~150 mark, depending on the moisture content.
Correct, I keep silica packs in my guitar room, and under the guitar in a stand in the living room. Humidity here is a pretty constant 60%, but can get as high as 90% during monsoon or thunderstorms.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #16
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Louie View Post
Any way you can warm the rehearsal room? A small propane heater that attaches to a BBQ tank will heat a room nicely.

The rehearsal space.......

$25 for 2 hours. The guys are not happy about having to shell out $6.25 each, they can barely scrape up gas money to get there. We have been there twice. The first time we went there the woman was rambling on about a leaky roof as I was hauling shit in & it was so freaking dark in there you couldn't see anything & I was barely paying attention to her anyway. When my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I saw what she was referring too. It was not a leak, it was a good sized hole in the ceiling/roof & every couple of minutes there was a plop & on the floor in the corner was a small pile of dirty mushy snow.

Now you see my dilemma, lol.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:08 AM   #17
Lefty Louie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
The rehearsal space.......

$25 for 2 hours. The guys are not happy about having to shell out $6.25 each, they can barely scrape up gas money to get there. We have been there twice. The first time we went there the woman was rambling on about a leaky roof as I was hauling shit in & it was so freaking dark in there you couldn't see anything & I was barely paying attention to her anyway. When my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I saw what she was referring too. It was not a leak, it was a good sized hole in the ceiling/roof & every couple of minutes there was a plop & on the floor in the corner was a small pile of dirty mushy snow.

Now you see my dilemma, lol.
Well I'm sure you've explored other options like playing in someone's home basement or garage. I certainly don't want to tell to move up in class with band mates, but having a hard time scraping together $6.25 each doesn't say much for being well healed.

Just a thought, any chance you can pay someone with a garage to let you use their heated space and with the $25 they can catch a movie while you guys jam? It's a win wine IMO.

Just another thought, do you have any "long term storage units places near you, pay someone to let you use a couple of larger units for a few hours, they have electric, usually climate controlled, just thinking out loud.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:36 AM   #18
AlyKat
Collab Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Louie View Post
Well I'm sure you've explored other options like playing in someone's home basement or garage. I certainly don't want to tell to move up in class with band mates, but having a hard time scraping together $6.25 each doesn't say much for being well healed.

Just a thought, any chance you can pay someone with a garage to let you use their heated space and with the $25 they can catch a movie while you guys jam? It's a win wine IMO.

Just another thought, do you have any "long term storage units places near you, pay someone to let you use a couple of larger units for a few hours, they have electric, usually climate controlled, just thinking out loud.

I wracked my brain trying to come up with a place to rehearse. Never thought os the storage place. I suggested an apartment or condo community building, a senior center, a school, someone else's basement or garage, a church basement or hall. I remembered this little diner that rented out it's back banquet room cheap for tupper ware parties & stuff like that & looked into it because I knew it would be dirt cheap. The one guy thought it was a one time rental fee of $25 for us to use the space indefinitely. Believe me, I am surprised they all had the $6.25 each time, I figured I would get stuck paying.

Last night the one guy claimed he had us a gig for next friday. I reminded them that there is no PA.......

Last week the bipolar guy quit the band after 1 week & then the next evening was all happy & back in again......cripes!

Tonight I get a call from the same guy. His house that he bought for $4000 burned up but not down & is full of water & stinks but he is still staying there in the cold & dark (they shut off the power when the fire dept was there putting out the fire) with a club to ward off the looters. No lie. I have no clue if his guitar & amp are ruined or not. I bet the living room that was full of marijuana & grow lights is toast.....

I have sunk to an all time low hooking up with these people. I am not one to look down on others or be a snob but these guys are just plain sad. There are so few people around to join forces with that I am desperate. Wow, I need to get a life.....
LOL.

That's the new band. This is my life
Old 01-27-2018, 05:01 AM   #19
Lefty Louie
Banned

Quote:
I wracked my brain trying to come up with a place to rehearse. Never thought os the storage place. I suggested an apartment or condo community building, a senior center, a school, someone else's basement or garage, a church basement or hall. I remembered this little diner that rented out it's back banquet room cheap for tupper ware parties & stuff like that & looked into it because I knew it would be dirt cheap. The one guy thought it was a one time rental fee of $25 for us to use the space indefinitely. Believe me, I am surprised they all had the $6.25 each time, I figured I would get stuck paying.

Last night the one guy claimed he had us a gig for next friday. I reminded them that there is no PA.......

Last week the bipolar guy quit the band after 1 week & then the next evening was all happy & back in again......cripes!

Tonight I get a call from the same guy. His house that he bought for $4000 burned up but not down & is full of water & stinks but he is still staying there in the cold & dark (they shut off the power when the fire dept was there putting out the fire) with a club to ward off the looters. No lie. I have no clue if his guitar & amp are ruined or not. I bet the living room that was full of marijuana & grow lights is toast.....

I have sunk to an all time low hooking up with these people. I am not one to look down on others or be a snob but these guys are just plain sad. There are so few people around to join forces with that I am desperate. Wow, I need to get a life.....
LOL.

I'd need to know so much more and this isn't the arena for it, but yes better class of friends/band mates might be in the future. Have you looked into a web site called meet up.com. by me they have good size get togethers of musicians. You might find something there. it's a site for all sort of meet ups, mommy's play dates, musicians etc.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #20
Smith357

Smith357 Just getting started

Quote:
Last night the one guy claimed ...............

Last week the bipolar guy quit ...............

Tonight I get a call from..........

I feel ya, goofy stuff like that drove me insane, though I was already 3/4 of the way there. Back in the 80s I had a studio setup in my basement, drums, guitars keyboards, mixers, and still had a hard time getting guys to get there for a regular practice sessions. Grrr... I gave up, married my only groupie, and now just play for myself and friends around the campfire.