Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Recording & Software

Old 01-28-2018, 03:38 AM   #1
Theguitarguy

Theguitarguy Just getting started
Default Guitar micing for recording

What is best way to mic an acoustic guitar for it to not be muddy?
Theguitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:38 AM   #2
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

DON'T put the mike 1" in front of the soundhole like most folks do. Put it about 6 inches to 1 foot out in front of the soundhole and don't point it straight at the soundhole. Aim the mike at the soundhole but do it at about a 45 degree angle. If you get in too close, you're going to hear all the unwanted pick noise and other unwanted noise. If you can get a good electret condenser mike with a large diaphram, you should get a good result. A large diaphram electret is usually at least 3/4" diameter. You can get a good quality sound from a 1/4" diaphram but you won't get as much sensitivity. If you use a Dynamic mike, try to find one with a flat frequency response and as sensitive a element as possible. Mike placement should be the same as above. If you get a bunch of unwanted pick noise and rustling noise, just keep moving the mike further away. You can always crank up the volume after you get the recording. Most people let the recording needle go up into the RED part of the meter but I don't. I let the needle just barely bump up into the red zone of the recording meter. Most of my recording has been done with an electric but I did do one album using only an acoustic. My recording worked out OK but my playing sucked.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

My favorite place is in front of the neck at the 17th fret about 4 inches away from the fingerboard. Some people use multiple microphones.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
Colin Peters

Colin Peters Just getting started

I've pointed one mic at the 12th fret, about 6 inches away, and I'll point another mic somewhere at the body. Just move the mic around till you get the sound you want. I agree about not pointing the mic straight at the sound hole.
Colin Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

It depends on what mic(s) I'm using. If I'm using the Mojave LDC, I'll set it about a foot away, pointed at the 12th fret. This is about the only mic I've use that seems to sound better than a pair of SDC's in stereo. If I'm using a pair of SDC's in X/Y stereo, I'll set them back about a foot and point one at the 12th, and one toward the sound hole.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote