Brilliant deduction Holmes....lol
Theguitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
Hurricane Ramon

Hurricane Ramon Just getting started
Thumbs up It's Got To be One Of The Best : [ Kamaka }

Kamaka Ukuleles

http://kamakahawaii.com/

If you want one from the source it's a Kamaka in Honolulu Hawaii , sky's the limit on what you want as far as the best .

I have a soprano circa 1954/5 , this video below will give you an idea of what Jake Shimabukuro does with one .

EZ :

HR
It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:16 PM   #5
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I've got an all-solid all- mahogany Kala KA SMHC that sounds pretty good, though now I would go tenor rather than concert.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:31 PM   #6
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
I've got an all-solid all- mahogany Kala KA SMHC that sounds pretty good, though now I would go tenor rather than concert.
I had an all solid acacia tenor and I agree that is more versatile (and comfortable).
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:45 PM   #7
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
I had an all solid acacia tenor and I agree that is more versatile (and comfortable).
Re tenors. They are usually tuned to the same pitch as concert and soprano, but the longer scale would be more comfortable for a guitarist, as you say, and there should be potentially better tone from a longer string and higher tension.

Tenors use a low 4th string, whereas soprano and concert traditionally use a high 4th - re-entrant tuning. I use a low 4th and buy guitar strings rather than uke
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:53 PM   #8
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
Re tenors. They are usually tuned to the same pitch as concert and soprano, but the longer scale would be more comfortable for a guitarist, as you say, and there should be potentially better tone from a longer string and higher tension.

Tenors use a low 4th string, whereas soprano and concert traditionally use a high 4th - re-entrant tuning. I use a low 4th and buy guitar strings rather than uke
They don't necessarily use a low G but that's what I did. I didn't use guitar strings but I did use a low G.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:42 PM   #9
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

I'll tell ya, Kalas, Lanikai's, Etc. are nice ukuleles, but "High End " to me is Kamaka. Hand made, one offs, tiny workshop and factory on South St. here in Honolulu. There is no better. You don't have to come to Hawaii to get one, reputable ukulele sales stores usually carry them. Prepare for $$. A soprano usually runs around 700 to 800 depending on accoutrements, concerts and tenors usually run around 1200 bucks, and higher with A/E. However, you are buying an heirloom quality instrument.

ANYTHING that breaks, wears out or is damaged by heat or humidity is repaired by Kamaka at a set price. I'm sure it's higher now, but 10 yrs. ago it was $209.00 regardless of damages, when I had my lady's 1958 soprano refurbished..For the 209, I got a new top, new tuners, reconditioned frets and neck, and a new finish, and reset bridge. They won't fix anything but Kamaka's, and it takes them months due to backlog, but the quality is unsurpassed.

Last edited by Parralax view; 01-30-2018 at 01:46 AM.
Parralax view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #10
Hurricane Ramon

Hurricane Ramon Just getting started
Thumbs up Kamaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
I'll tell ya, Kalas, Lanikai's, Etc. are nice ukuleles, but "High End " to me is Kamaka. Hand made, one offs, tiny workshop and factory on South St. here in Honolulu.

ANYTHING that breaks, wears out or is damaged by heat or humidity is repaired by Kamaka at a set price. I'm sure it's higher now, but 10 yrs. ago it was $209.00 regardless of damages, when I had my lady's 1958 soprano refurbished..For the 209, I got a new top, new tuners, reconditioned frets and neck, and a new finish, and reset bridge. They won't fix anything but Kamaka's, and it takes them months due to backlog, but the quality is unsurpassed.
Aloooooooooooha Bra :

My soprano needs some TLC it's a early 50's issue Gold label , from the looks it could be from the originals
that came out when they re opened after WW2 . It's a blonde koa

Even with the top having a split on it's top just below the sound hole to the bridge it still sounds fantastic .

EZ :

HR

It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote