Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 01-31-2018, 02:30 AM   #1
Cobra

Cobra Just getting started
Default Microphone in front of the speaker on an a amp

Ok, so by now most of you know Iím clueless about electric guitars and amplifiers.

What is the purpose of mikeing your amp?

Let the bashing begin...
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:40 AM   #2
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

It's a good question. There are a couple of times you might mic and amp. One common reason is to record the amp as you play. Some amps have a recording line out others have a USB direct recording option. That's nice but it's not the sound of a certain amp with a certain set of speaker and cabinet. The placement of the mic(s) can make a huge different in the recorded sound.

Short answer is that it's not at all needed to learn electric guitar or to record with any of the amps and MFx units we've discussed. Most of the popular home amps make recording really easy. Lots of great choices out there.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:15 AM   #3
Cobra

Cobra Just getting started

Thanks Dan.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:18 AM   #4
Borodog

Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow

The purpose of miking an amp is so that you can record it a dozen different ways, none of which sound like what you hear.
Borodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:18 AM   #5
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I used my amp as my monitor, and we used to mic it and DI from the Fx loop out to the mixing desk.
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:24 AM   #6
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Your new Katana 50 doesn't need mic'ing for recording. It has a direct output that could go to your recording interface or PA.
littlebadboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:00 AM   #7
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

When you record an analog amp, or insert an analog amp into a PA, you use a microphone.

Typically, when I record electric guitar, I close mic with a dynamic on the brightest section of the speaker, I walk an LDC around the front to find the bass-iest spot with least phase cancellation, and I also record a DI signal in case I want to re-amp or digi-futz with it later.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:18 AM   #8
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Way back in the caveman days of the 1970's, some rockers used small amps on stage because they got the sound that they wanted from amps like the Fender Champ, Fender Princeton reverb and even the Fender Deluxe. The problem came when they became famous and had to play enormous stadiums and large theaters and the little amp wouldn't make the cut so they draped a mike over the amp and sent the sound to the PA system where it was really loud. I personally haven't played a venue that was too big for my amp but I would have if it ever became necessary. A few, and I do say few, guitarists have actually plugged their guitar straight into the Snake and sent their signal to the PA system mixing board and let the sound man handle it from there. I keep a high impedance to low impedance line transformer in my guitar case just in case I ever need to do that. Then in today's world there's always some jackass with a MARSHALL DOUBLE STACK with a mike draped over it because he isn't loud enough to drown out the rest of the band.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:33 AM   #9
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
Then in today's world there's always some jackass with a MARSHALL DOUBLE STACK with a mike draped over it because he isn't loud enough to drown out the rest of the band.
Most of us realize that the stack is for show, and only two of the speakers in one of the cabs are live.

;-)

I'm personally a fan of the 2x12 combo on a slant-stand. With the amp at waist level, it makes it easy to approach and play with feedback/interaction.

Hang a Sennheiser e609 over the front and you're all set.

If you need it to be louder, you're either doing something seriously wrong... or seriously right.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:35 PM   #10
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Ok, so by now most of you know Iím clueless about electric guitars and amplifiers.

What is the purpose of mikeing your amp?
To record my guitar sound for those collaborations that we do.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote