Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 02-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
crank

crank Just getting started
Default Fun On Vacation

We just got back from a ski club trip to Taos, NM. They are having the worst winter in anyone's memory, but there was skiing and we had fun. Did some hiking and sightseeing as well.

But this about the St Bernard Lodge which was next door to our condos and had live music most nights. We saw a really good solo guy, Jimmy Staddler who played guitar really well, keys, better and was pretty good on mandolin as well. He was a good looper.

Anyway my ski club peeps asked if he would let me play his guitar, a really good playing and sounding Taylor and I am not a Taylor fan. We jammed for at least 6 songs. I sang Folsom Prison Blues and I will Survive. Lots of fun!

There was a really good rock band Friday night, Controlled Burn, and we were dancing a lot. One of my club peeps Made me play during their break, I was reluctant as I was tired and kind of buzzed. I played the guitarists Tele and sang some tunes for a good 20 minutes. Had a lot of fun and really spiced up my vacation!
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
Lefty Louie
Banned

Lefty Louie Just getting started

Sounds like great fun. Playing someone else's equipment comes with great responsibility.
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:11 PM   #3
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Good times!!
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
Dirt

Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

When someone is performing at a ski lodge, is it still appropriate to tell them to break a leg?
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:59 PM   #5
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

There is pretty much an unspoken rule around here that says; no one touches the bands stuff (especially guitars) between sets. Otherwise you never have a minute's peace. Everyone plays & wants to join the show.

That's cool that they let you join in. But then you probably weren't drooling & weaving & slurring your speech either

Remember Squids gig stalker that wanted to play & sing with him, lol !
Old 02-05-2018, 03:06 AM   #6
crank

crank Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
There is pretty much an unspoken rule around here that says; no one touches the bands stuff (especially guitars) between sets. Otherwise you never have a minute's peace. Everyone plays & wants to join the show.

That's cool that they let you join in. But then you probably weren't drooling & weaving & slurring your speech either

Remember Squids gig stalker that wanted to play & sing with him, lol !
I didn't really want to play during the band's break but my friends forced me to. Had fun though and was able to entertain the crowd for 20 minutes. It helps when you brought half the bar's crowd with you!

I have have had drunks try to sing with various bands I was in in the past and it seldom sounds good. A few times it was great.
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

As long as it's OK with the band then it's a great thing when audience members participate. I've had trouble with people before.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote