Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 02-04-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out
Default Beat Buddy, drum machines, etc

I know some of you use them to gig with.

I watched a youtube video on the Beat Buddy. I can't see myself working my harmonizer pedal, my effects processor pedals, & a Beat Buddy while singing & playing guitar. I think I would need at least 2 more feet & a hell of a lot more coordination, lol.

The bass player & I are what is left of the current group & we are tossing around ideas of how we could make this work.

Is there an easier way? What would be a simple solution?
Old 02-04-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I used to have an Alesis SR-16 Drum Machine. You could program drum patterns.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:28 PM   #3
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
I know some of you use them to gig with.

I watched a youtube video on the Beat Buddy. I can't see myself working my harmonizer pedal, my effects processor pedals, & a Beat Buddy while singing & playing guitar. I think I would need at least 2 more feet & a hell of a lot more coordination, lol.

The bass player & I are what is left of the current group & we are tossing around ideas of how we could make this work.

The Beat Buddy really isn't that bad to operate with all of the above. You don't have to use the fills, your job would just be to start and stop it. If the fills are important to you, you can actually program entire songs including the fills. I don't prefer to do that, as I like to have the flexibility to extend or add a bridge or instrumental break on the fly. I have my whole set programmed into the thing, and it's pretty easy to just kick it off and go. The only thing I'd recommend is the outboard 2 button pedal. I have mine programmed to move up and down through the set list when it's not playing. While playing, one button is pause/unpause, the other is end song with outtro.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:41 PM   #4
Dirt

Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Most electronic keyboards have a large selection of built in drum beats, or you can program your own. For gigs you could record some beats on your DAW, put em on a phone or iPod, and play them back thru an amp, PA, Blue tooth speaker, etc.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #5
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Most electronic keyboards have a large selection of built in drum beats, or you can program your own. For gigs you could record some beats on your DAW, put em on a phone or iPod, and play them back thru an amp, PA, Blue tooth speaker, etc.
This!
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:31 PM   #6
rct

rct Just getting started

Bass Player and I have been down to the two of us many times. We use Aleesis SR-16 and my Boss DR-880. They work well, PA well, don't talk back.

rct
rct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:36 PM   #7
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
If you're doing guitar/singing solo, one of these is a handy tool to have...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wl9B6Rg5f4
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:55 PM   #8
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post

Wow, that gizmo is amazing! $800 ..ooh,,,
Old 02-04-2018, 11:29 PM   #9
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
Wow, that gizmo is amazing! $800 ..ooh,,,
On the bright side.. $500 used. And when you consider the cumulative cost of the single-purpose gizmos that it replaces... You can almost justify it.

I'm working with two bands that use a similar product, and it's neat that a 4-piece guitar band can have strings, brass, keys, choir, etc.

The down side is that your drummer will need to play to a click, so make sure he's on suicide watch if you get one.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:42 PM   #10
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post

I use a standard VL3 (Not the extreme) with the Beat Buddy. They are both midi sync capable, so I use the midi sync out from the Beat Buddy to sync to the VL3, as well as my Strymon delay so that all of my effects are timed to the tempo of the song I'm playing.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote